Thread: Notes: McCutchen flashing the leather

Bleeder of Black and Gold BnGBleeder's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Pirates Notes: McCutchen flashing the leather

The Official Site of The Pittsburgh Pirates: News: Pittsburgh Pirates News

Notes: McCutchen flashing the leather
    Top prospect has impressed club with his defense

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- After three highlight reel-worthy catches Thursday night, it was understandable why Andrew McCutchen was disappointed in the dugout Friday morning. Rain, and lots of it, came down in sheets, completely soaking his territory in left field.

"Man, I hate it when it rains," he said, after jogging to the batting cages and back during the downpour. "You kind of have to get something to boost you up a little bit. Hopefully it stops right now.

"But I'll see what I can do."

McCutchen said a soggy outfield makes it a bit tougher to get a jump on the ball, but he didn't seem to be hurting any Friday during the Pirates' 8-3 loss to Tampa Bay. The skies cleared up just prior to game time, and he made another over-the-shoulder snag on the warning track, running full-tilt to rob Tampa Bay's Greg Norton of a hit in the third inning. It was a catch that drew enthusiastic applause from the stands.
    Later, the 20-year-old shifted to center field, although the outs he made there were more of the routine variety.

It was the second time in as many days that McCutchen had received attention for his defensive skills. On Thursday evening, he made a running snag toward right-center field that resulted in a double play, as well as an over-the-head catch.
    Manager Jim Tracy is pleased, but not the least bit surprised with McCutchen's performance.

"He walked in here this spring with a very different look on his face," Tracy said. "More or less, by the way he goes about his business, the suggestion is that,'I feel like I belong here.'
    "And in my opinion, he's right. He does belong."
    I don't see why we should send him to the minor leagues to start 2007.Let him come to Pittsburgh and lets see what he can do.He's better that Duffy and McClouth,so lets put him in...unless managment is afraid of actually winning.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I understand that it looks that way, but I don't think he's ready. Bring him up raises alot of lineup questions along the way as well. Let's not rush him, give him the year in Double and Triple A, and if he hits well, give him a shot in right.

I say right instead of center because without Duffy and McClouth in the lineup every day, who's leading off? Freddy's much better in the 2 or 3 hole, and Jack can barely get on base 28% of the time.

Bleeder of Black and Gold BnGBleeder's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    I understand that it looks that way, but I don't think he's ready. Bring him up raises alot of lineup questions along the way as well. Let's not rush him, give him the year in Double and Triple A, and if he hits well, give him a shot in right.

I say right instead of center because without Duffy and McClouth in the lineup every day, who's leading off? Freddy's much better in the 2 or 3 hole, and Jack can barely get on base 28% of the time.
    I don't have faith in Duffy or McCLouth though.

I guess let him start the season in AAA and if after two months he's playing spetacular ball and Duffy and McCLouth are sucking...bring up Cutch...he can abt leadoff.