Thread: What is wrong with the Pittsburgh Pirates

Bleeder of Black and Gold BnGBleeder's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Pirates What is wrong with the Pittsburgh Pirates

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE PITTSBURGH PIRATESby Thomas Hanlon

The Nutting family has earmarked the Pittsburgh Pirates payroll for the 2007 Major League Baseball season at $50 million. However, they are only using approximatly $40 million of that. There is 20% of the payroll not being utilized.

Now some might say that they are just leaving room to pick a big name up at the trade deadline, or that the Pirates are putting money aside in case of an injury and the must aquire someone to fill that void. What it truly comes down to, is that the Nuttings don't have a true commitment to winning in Major League Baseball.

They can say that the team's budget is $300 million, however they will never spend thier maximum budget. It's just a word game they are playing to make the fans of the Pirates think they want to win. If you don't spend the maximum of your budget, or at least close to it, you're not truly commited to putting a winner on the field of play.

The Nuttings should take all of the money they get from revenue sharing and media contracts and put it towards the team. They should spend at least 60% of the money they make off of ticket and merchandise sales and put it towards the team. That leaves them with 40% of the money from those sales to pay the stadium bills and staff, along with plenty of money for them to pocket.

The Nuttings however, will never do that.

They get all this revenue from PNC Park, but the fans can't even get a .500 ballclub out of the owners. Who paid for the construction of the park? The fans did. The citizens of Pittsburgh did, even the ones who don't care for baseball. The fans invested in the team, now it's time for the Nuttings to make an investment to the fans...sell the team to someone who cares about winning.

If you are a Pirates fan, write the Nuttings and MLB and tell them what you think. Let your voice be heard and maybe a change will be made, because it is only the fans that can make this change happen.
    I wrote this myself.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm not overly annoyed that they're not using the rest of the money, because they really had no chance to add a talent worthy of the price they would command.

Let's face it, the playoffs are highly unlikely this year, and going with the kids is definately a better idea for the future. Now that we're not drafting college pitchers every year, the prospects look good and I think in a few years(barring a dumb move of dropping Duke, Bay, ect.), they'll start caring a little bit more about the team.

Rookie ERA
    I'm interested to see what kind of interaction the Nutting Family will have this season, remember its the first time they have stepped out of the shadows, into the spotlight.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    I'm not overly annoyed that they're not using the rest of the money, because they really had no chance to add a talent worthy of the price they would command.

Let's face it, the playoffs are highly unlikely this year, and going with the kids is definately a better idea for the future. Now that we're not drafting college pitchers every year, the prospects look good and I think in a few years(barring a dumb move of dropping Duke, Bay, ect.), they'll start caring a little bit more about the team.
    I have faith in our pitching staff,I am just afraid that when the trade deadline comes...a contender will really want Jason Bay or Freddy Sanchez,and we'll trade them for prospects.What good is a prospect if when he blossoms he gets traded?

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    No, we won't.

We didn't dump Giles until we knew it was time for him to go, and I don't think we're going to dump Bay or Freddy until it's time. Both seem happy in Pittsburgh, and that's all that matters.
    Personally,I hope we keep Jason and Freddy instead of dumping them ever.If the Nuttings want to eventually have a winning team,I feel those two players will be key components.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No, we won't.

We didn't dump Giles until we knew it was time for him to go, and I don't think we're going to dump Bay or Freddy until it's time. Both seem happy in Pittsburgh, and that's all that matters.