Thread: Pirates release catcher Santiago

MLB ERA

Pirates release catcher Santiago

Benito Santiago could see it coming.

He knew that the Pirates liked the catching tandem of Humberto Cota and newcomer David Ross, and he had more than an inkling that his days with the team were numbered.

Yesterday, Santiago was proven right when he was released.

"I'm not surprised," he said. "I think I had a good idea that was going to be their decision, and there's nothing you can do about that as a player."

Santiago, 40, hit .261 in six games, but he did not play after April 11 because of a viral infection. The team placed him on the 15-day disabled list and, even a week after he was eligible to return April 30, still had not activated him.

General manager Dave Littlefield and manager Lloyd McClendon informed Santiago of the decision at a Phoenix hotel early yesterday morning.

"It was tough," McClendon said. "Benito's a class act. He's had a remarkable career. To think he's played 19 seasons and never been released before, that's a tremendous accomplishment."

McClendon stressed that the decision had more to do with Cota and Ross than with Santiago.

"We felt we had two guys who were better, who gave us a better chance of winning," he said. "There was not much we could do differently than what we did. Hopefully, he'll catch on with somebody."

Even though Santiago, a five-time All-Star, is much older than Cota, 26, or Ross, 28, Littlefield insisted that age was not the determining factor.

"It's a little part of it and, in the situation we're in, it's a nice message to send," Littlefield said. "But it's more performance oriented. If Ross was not performing, we would have optioned him to the minors."

Littlefield said he tried to trade Santiago but found no takers.

Santiago showed no ill will toward the Pirates.

"They handled it in a very professional way," he said. "The only thing I can say about that situation is that David Ross is going to be a good catcher. Cota is their starter, and they liked Ross. That was their decision. I have no problem with that."

Santiago flew back to Pittsburgh, where he will remain for "a couple of days" to see how his situation plays out. He will be available to teams through waivers today and tomorrow, although he almost certainly will not be claimed because a team would have to pay his full salary. If he clears waivers, he will be a free agent.

He has no apparent intention of quitting.

"Of course not," Santiago said. "I'm looking forward to going somewhere and playing a lot. I'm still a high-level catcher in this game."

The Pirates' move will not come without a price.

For one, they gave up Class A pitching prospect Leo Nunez to acquire Santiago Dec. 16 from the Kansas City Royals. Nunez, 21, was promoted two weeks ago from high Class A to Class AA Wichita, where he is in the bullpen. In three games, he has a 1.80 earned run average and five strikeouts in as many innings.

For another, the Pirates are on the hook for $900,000 toward Santiago's $2.14 million salary. The rest was covered in a cash payment from the Royals as part of the trade.

If another team signs Santiago, the amount of that salary -- the prorated portion of the major-league minimum is $316,000 -- will be deducted from the amount the Pirates owe.

The winner in the scenario was Ross, who has impressed management mostly with his defensive play but also with his occasional power.

McClendon said he became a believer in Ross in the season's eighth game, April 12 in Milwaukee. That was when Ross was timed at an extraordinary 1.89 seconds from glove to glove in catching Junior Spivey trying to steal second.

Ross made an even more impressive throw Wednesday in Houston, nailing the Astros' speedy Willy Taveras, who is 10 for 12 in steal attempts.

"I like the guy's energy, too" McClendon said. "He pays attention to detail, he works well with the pitchers, and he's had some big hits for us."

Ross is hitting .255 with three home runs, five doubles and 11 RBIs in 51 at-bats.

He had made an effort to block out the Santiago situation, and that was evident yesterday morning when he was one of the last in the clubhouse to learn of Santiago's release.

"I'd be stupid to say it didn't enter my mind, but it's not something I lost sleep over," Ross said. "I came to the ballpark and got myself prepared to play that day. That's how I go about my business."

Closer Jose Mesa, Santiago's closest friend on the team, said he could see a bright side for all concerned.

"Benito wanted to play, and now he'll get a chance somewhere," Mesa said. "And we've still got a couple of good, young catchers."http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05129/501382.stm
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Bring him to the San Diego Surf Dawgs to play with Rickey, we'll take him.....
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This happened like a week ago and I have not talked to a single Pirates fan who's cared at all.

That's what you get for turning down an rehab assignment.