Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL Pirates Offseason Thread

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The OFFICIAL Pirates Offseason Thread

First news of the offseason...

According to the Beaver County Times, the Pirates have agreed to terms with Cuban defector Yuslan Herrera on a major league deal.
    Herrera is a 25-year-old right-hander who pitched for Cuba in the 2004 Olympics. "He's got an above-average split-finger and was 88-92," a scout told Baseball America in August. "I could see his velocity jumping up to 90-94 once he gets into a system and he could very easily be a No. 4 starter in the big leagues." It sounds like he's worth keeping an eye on.

Eh, don't know much about the guy, but it better be incentive-filled, since it's a major league deal...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quick Bullington and Van Benschoten updates from Rotoworld...

John Van Benschoten is currently receiving treatment for his shoulder three times per week. He'll begin a throwing program in December, and he expects to be healthy enough to compete for a job in spring training.

"I feel 100 times better than I did at the end of the season," said Van Benschoten. "I feel well enough right now to do what I need to do. There is no doubt about that." Van Benschoten has undergone one surgery on his right (throwing) shoulder and two on his left since his last major league appearance in 2004. The Pirates would just like to see him healthy next spring. There's little chance that he'll make the team.

Bryan Bullington, who spent the entire year on the disabled list after labrum surgery in Oct. 2005, plans to resume his throwing program next month.

Bullington was supposed to be back pitching in games by June or July, but that never happened. At least he's feeling good now after testing his shoulder in the instructional league. Bullington will likely open next season in Triple-A. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft isn't much of a sleeper for fantasy purposes.

Good to see the kids coming back well from surgery. I'd love to see JVB get a chance as a bat if he struggles with more arm injuries, but I know it won't happen. Hopefully we can get these guys in the majors next year, at least for a cup of coffee.

Yeah, go VBS!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Although they never announced it, the Pirates have picked up Damaso Marte's $3 million option for 2007, GM Dave Littlefield said.
    Marte would have been arbitration eligible had the option been declined, but then the Pirates would have lost the second club option for 2008. A year from now, the club will again have the option of paying Marte $3 million or buying him out for $250,000, with the difference being that he'll become a free agent if the option is declined next time.

With pitching having gotten so expensive, the Pirates may opt to tender an offer to Shawn Chacon, who had a 6.36 ERA and a $3.6 million salary last season.
    The Pirates entered the winter likely to non-tender both Chacon and Humberto Cota. However, if Chacon isn't going to make more than $4 million in arbitration, keeping him wouldn't be such a bad idea. He's alternated good and lousy years his entire career, and while it's a foolish trend to put much stock in, he is due to bounce back somewhat in 2007.

The Pirates have yet to approach Freddy Sanchez about a multiyear deal and might not do so this winter.
    Sanchez, who won the NL batting title, is arbitration eligible for the first time and will likely make in excess of $3 million next year. He's not going to be a free agent until after 2009, and the Pirates may want to see whether he's a one-year wonder before they choose to commit. Given that he does have an injury history, it could be the right approach.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Jose Castillo went 2-for-3 and hit his fourth homer Sunday for Caracas of the VWL.
    With a .341/.463/.600 line and 22 RBI in 85 at-bats, Castillo has been one of the best players in Venezuela. The Pirates have thought about moving him, but if they did, they'd be selling low on the 25-year-old.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm definately fine with Marte coming back, he had a couple rough stretches, but the bullpen is turning out to be deep enough to cover him. Chacon, I'd rather go without, especially at 4 mill, I understand that's what he'd have to make in the arbitration system, but he's unlikely to earn a fourth of that this season.

I don't know if it's the right thing to wait on Freddy. Sure, he could be a one year wonder, but if he's not and you piss him off by not getting him signed right away, another big-time bat leaves Pittsburgh, and the fan base gets a little more cranky.

Jose shouldn't be dealt, at least not yet. I like his tools package and for a while there he was impressive last year. Hopefully he can become a little more consistant in 07.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The proposed Adam LaRoche-for-Mike Gonzalez deal between the Braves and Pirates has fallen through, according to MLB.com.

The Braves could have quickly assembled one of the game's best bullpens by bringing in both Gonzalez and Rafael Soriano, but they may have felt they didn't need both, not if the price was LaRoche. There might be a slight chance that talks could be revisited, with perhaps Paul Maholm and Jose Castillo instead going to Atlanta. However, the Braves might be leaning toward keeping their first baseman. The Pirates could now focus on picking up Ryan Church from the Nationals.
    Source: Pirates.mlb.com

Like the move by nixing here. I think no move is better than a move for a lefty bat, we're probably not contending this year anyway, and the bullpen is our biggest strength, might as well continue to do so. Trot Nixon is the only guy on the market I consider worth paying, and his contract will be so outragous that I would even balk on that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pirates made Braves RHP Sean White the fourth pick in Thursday's Rule 5 draft.

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer says he'll be traded to the Mariners. White, 24, went 5-6 with a 4.40 ERA, 124 H and 73/43 K/BB in 102 1/3 innings for Double-A Mississippi last season. He also had a 6.35 ERA and a 12/11 K/BB ratio in 17 innings in the AFL. The Pirates like that he's a groundball pitcher, but he's a middle reliever at best.

Eh, don't know much about him, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't a top 30 Braves spect last year, but his AFL stats aren't promising, and I'm kinda hoping the Seattle deal happens.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yoslan Herrera traveled to Pittsburgh for his scheduled physical on Friday. If he passes, he'll get a three-year deal from the Pirates.

The signing should be annouced on Monday or Tuesday. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette also reports that Herrera's first name is, in fact, Yoslan. He was previously being called Yuslan.
    Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

So much for the minor league deal, I guess it's worth a shot of catching lightning in a bottle, but if Pittsburgh is signing him, it's likely we were the only suitors, which kinda scares me after last year's Randa and Burnitz signings.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pirates claimed RHP Franquelis Osoria off waivers from the Dodgers.

A nice pickup. The Dodgers seemed to give up on the 25-year-old Osoria last season, but he's a groundball pitcher with a nice fastball-slider combination. He should have a career as a middle reliever.

From what I've seen and heard, it's not a bad pickup, and we'll take any free players we can get. I doubt he'll make a major impact, but should slide in the Damaso Marte-mold.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    From what I read about Osoria, he seems to have a solid upside and at the very least, could develop into a cheap effective reliever. Smart move by the Pirates to pick up a young arm if they are going to move a guy like Gonzalez for some offense.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Right-hander Masuma Kuwata said he has decided to sign a minor league contract with the Pirates.

The 38-year-old Kuwata definitely has a better chance of winning a spot on Pittsburgh's roster than he did Boston's. The Dodgers also made him an offer. It's doubtful that Kuwata will have any fantasy value.
    Source: Kyodo News

I don't like his age, but on a minor league contract, I definately don't mind taking a spot on a veteran pitcher who could work out nicely. Good move.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jim "Commodore" Colborn working his Japanese connections again.

MLB ERA
    Mike Gonzalez said the rumor that he took a physical for the Yankees on Friday was untrue.
    "I've been right here with my folks getting ready to enjoy Christmas," Gonzalez said Saturday by phone from Deer Park, Texas in suburban Houston. "I've heard the trade rumors just like everyone else. I don't pay much attention but my buddies tell me about them. But nobody has approached me and said I'm being traded to the Yankees or any other team."
    Source: RotoWorld

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Personally, I still feel that the Pirates should keep Gonzalez. They came on strong in the 2nd half and they really have a chance to improve this year. Jim Tracy is a good manager. Unless they are getting proven, qulatity talent in return, why not hold on to him to at least July trading deadline. He will have more value then!!!!!

KEEP HIM PITTSBURGH!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast