Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The OFFICIAL Pirates Offseason Thread

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There's where I disagree, I don't like Jack. I think he's an overpaid no bat-all glove shortstop that had a flukey good year. Things like these just fuel my negative opinion about him.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Fair Enough. I don't follow the Pirates as closely as I do the Steelers. They are my fav. football team! I do like the Pirates and they seem to give my Brewers fits every year!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Pirates signed RHP Tony Armas Jr., who had been with the Nationals, to a one-year contract with a club option for 2008.
    Armas hasn't been any good since returning from shoulder surgery in 2004, with a 4.88 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP standing as his best marks from the last three years. That he's on the right side of 30 gives some hope for the future, but he just doesn't have the same stuff he used to. The Pirates would probably be better off with Shawn Chacon as their fifth starter. The two will compete for the job, and Armas may have the advantage, mainly because Chacon's contract isn't guaranteed.
    Maybe he can light a fire under Chacon's ass.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Hey, the Pirates finally signed somebody this offseason.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Don't forget about the LaRcohe trade now.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, but that wasn't a free agent signing. I think this might be the first actual one they've made to a guaranteed major league contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Tony Armas Jr. will earn $3 million this year under the terms of his deal with the Pirates.
    He's guaranteed another $500,000 in the form of a buyout of a mutual option for 2008. The option starts at $5 million and could increased, based on his 2007 performance.
    How in the hell does this guy get $3 mil/yr?

MLB ERA
    I don't know, but it's still miles ahead of the ridiculous Ramon Ortiz contract.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

It is a bit steep for me, but this is a nice destination for Armas, IMO. If he can stay healthy, he still has decent stuff and can be a positive addition to the rotation!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I figure Chacon will beat him out in ST and this will be bought out early, but Armas could be solid if he's healthy(HUGE if), and at least it's not some seven year deal or anything.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

that is true about the 7 year deal. that would suck. i am sure he is a short term plan, unless he completely turns things around.

MLB ERA
    Pirates manager Jim Tracy wouldn't name a favorite in the competition between Jose Bautista and Jose Castillo for a starting job in the infield.
    Freddy Sanchez will play second base if Bautista starts and third base if Castillo wins the job. "We're very open-minded about the two Joses," Tracy said. "We'll let them dictate."

Asked which Pirates player had the best chance of surprising this spring, manager Jim Tracy named Ryan Doumit.
    Doumit is capable of becoming one of the Pirates' top hitters, but where's he going to play? Before the Adam LaRoche acquisition, it looked like he'd compete for time at first base. He'd be a weaker option in right field, though he might see some action there this spring. He'll also battle Humberto Cota for backup catching duties, but as much as Ronny Paulino played last year, it's unlikely Doumit would have much of a chance of contributing even if he won the job.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Tracy just seems to throw names out there when he's asked to name someone that he expects big things from. Doumit won't do anything this year unless there's an injury.

As for Bautista v. Castillo, this should add some decent speculation to spring training, along with Chacon v. Armas and Kolb v. Osario.

This team is becoming intresting to me again.

You stay classy San Diego Rexy2006's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Nady Released From Florida Hospital

Nady released from Florida hospital
    02/22/2007 5:20 PM ET
    By Dawn Klemish / MLB.com

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Xavier Nady was released late Thursday afternoon after spending two nights in an area hospital with what Pirates officials said was inflammation of his intestine.

Manatee County Hospital confirmed that Nady, 28, had checked in on Tuesday evening. He was still assigned to a room as of Thursday morning, but his condition improved enough that he will report to Friday workouts as scheduled, although his activity will be limited.
    "He's making progress and getting better," general manager Dave Littlefield said shortly after workouts concluded Thursday. "His fever is down and a lot of the symptoms are subsiding."

Nady approached the Pittsburgh staff last week and said his stomach had been bothering him. On Tuesday, the 28-year-old did not dress before workouts and instead said he was going to have bloodwork done. He was admitted to the hospital later that day.
    The outfielder/first baseman missed 18 games last season while with the Mets after undergoing an emergency appendectomy on May 30, something Littlefield said played a factor in the amount of caution taken with the new ailment.
    "We're just doing our diligence and being thorough at this point in time, to make sure we don't have any problems later on," Littlefield said. "We wanted to do some tests and make sure everything was OK."

Nady is a projected outfielder alongside Jason Bay and Chris Duffy, although it is unknown how this condition will affect him. He hit .280 with 63 RBIs last season in 130 games with the Mets and Pirates, including 61 hits in 55 games with Pittsburgh. Nady was acquired from New York on July 31 in a deal for pitchers Roberto Hernandez and Oliver Perez.

MLB ERA
    Ouch! Good luck to him. Always have felt bad for Nady since he got dealt from he Mets to the Pirates at the deadline, about as bad as it gets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123