Credit: Post-Gazette.com
Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06156/695806-63.stm

With Joe Randa getting closer to a return from the disabled list, Pirates general manager David Littlefield yesterday reversed course and said Freddy Sanchez would remain the team's starting third baseman

"We're going to keep [Sanchez] there at third," Littlefield said. "Early on, when Joe first got hurt, that probably wasn't the thinking."

Despite Sanchez's hot bat, the team had planned to return Randa to the starting lineup upon his return. Sanchez changed his bosses' minds by going on a tear that has had him at or within striking distance of the National League lead in batting average. He sits at .345 going into the game tonight at Colorado.

"If Freddy's going to hit .350, I think he should be playing third base," Littlefield said.

Randa, who has been out since May 1 with a bone contusion in his right foot, traveled with the club to Colorado and will work out in spikes, run and take batting practice. He could be sent to Class AAA Indianapolis for a rehabilitation assignment as early as the weekend, Littlefield and manager Jim Tracy said, and could rejoin the Pirates soon after.

Sanchez, whose four home runs is a relatively low number for a player at his position, said he isn't going to change his style.

"I'm not going to hit 30 home runs or anything like that," he said. "I've got to stay gap to gap, put the ball in play. I feel like I can to that, and I feel like I can help the team win."

Sanchez had not heard about his elevation to full-time starter directly from Littlefield.

"But it feels good to know he feels that way," Sanchez said.
Best move for the team right there. Joe probably will get traded if this is true(hopefully anyway). Freddy has been our 2nd best hitter for much of the season and he's an important part of the lineup. Great move, great move, great move.