Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates Season Thread

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Game 17 is underway, 1-0 Cardinals in the 2nd on a Jim Edmonds solo HR.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    David Eckstein(?!?) solo HR. 2-0 Cards. Come on Vic.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Carpenter with a perfect game through 3 in Pittsburgh.

That better jinx him.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    WOOOO! RONNY PAULINO SINGLE! PERFECT GAME OVER! Yes.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Gameday tonight after the weekend sweep by Florida. Haven't had time to update as all my time has been spent on S3SL.

Anywhoo, 8 PM EST, we'll get a gameday in tonight. All welcome.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Have to cancel tonight's gameday, got called in to work.

I'll do one tomorrow for sure.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    *sigh*

This is the worst Pirates news I've heard all season.

Pirates prospect Brad Eldred will be sidelined at least four months after surgery Tuesday for injuries to his left thumb.
    An operation found a fracture of the joint and damage to the ligament. Team spokesman Dan Hart said Eldred will wear a splint for six to eight weeks and then could begin range of motion exercises. That he's going to miss basically the entire season might cause the Pirates to decide against making him their first baseman next year, which would be a shame. Apr. 25 - 7:09 pm et

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Freaking Pujols! I hate how good he is. Don't be alarmed though, he is doing this to everyone. Good try today Bucs!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Randa and Burnitz are frustrated with their slumps:

If Jeromy Burnitz and Joe Randa plied their trades just about anywhere else in Major League Baseball, their dismal starts might have blended into the background.

A diving misplay of a fly ball that leads to a run?

Hey, get 'em next time.

A slump of 2 for 22?

Who knew?

But that most assuredly is not the case in Pittsburgh, where those two players came not as the complementary pieces they might be for the New York Yankees or St. Louis Cardinals, but as the main attractions of an unprecedented offseason spending spree.

The Pirates spent a franchise-record $13.45 million on free agents this winter, fueled by the $12 million payroll increase authorized by ownership in October, and they did so intent on upgrading the offense. To that end, they spent the bulk of that cash on one-year contracts for Burnitz, who is guaranteed $6.7 million, and Randa, who will make $4 million.

The early return on those investments?

So far, beyond a doubt, it has been far more bust than boom.

Just ask them.

"I'm not satisfied," Burnitz said. "Not at all."

"Terrible," Randa said. "Just terrible."

Burnitz, 36, is batting .217, including a funk of two hits over a six-game stretch before being given the day off Wednesday by manager Jim Tracy, who explained he wanted his right fielder to have "a chance to regroup." Burnitz has four home runs and 12 RBIs but only two other extra-base hits. He has struck out 20 times, 12th most in the National League.

Randa, 36, has a similar average at .222 but lower power numbers with a home run and six RBIs. He had 43 doubles last season but has only four this month.

General manager Dave Littlefield signed Burnitz and Randa to fortify the heart of the order and protect Jason Bay. In doing so, he also decided to relegate two younger -- and comparably productive -- players, Craig Wilson and Freddy Sanchez, to bench duty.

Littlefield acknowledged that neither Burnitz nor Randa has performed to expectations, but he expressed hope that would change soon.

"You're going to see them come around," he said. "Randa's coming off a year in which he had a lot of doubles and did some good things with the bat. Offensively, he hasn't come out of the blocks like we think he could have, but he's done well defensively for us. Burnitz? He's been a little streaky at this point. Still, even though hasn't performed, he's second on the team in RBIs. He might be frustrated, pressing, still working to get out of it. These guys will tell you it's a long year."

They also might be inclined to suggest it has been a long month.

In blunt terms.

"I'm aware of it," Burnitz said. "And I'm the first to tell you that there are some days and some parts of the game that I'm not satisfied with my attitude and my execution with what I'm trying to do. You know, we can look at all the reasons why it's been a bad start for us and blah, blah, but they're really irrelevant. You've got to do it. You've got to perform."

There are times when Burnitz's frustration has been evident for all to see, as he occasionally has stood an extra second or so in the box after a strikeout.

"Yeah, I've been frustrated. I'm not really happy with a lot of my at-bats. But, on the other hand, I've also had a lot of at-bats where I wouldn't change a thing, and I didn't have anything to show for it. I'm just trying to maintain a sound, fundamental approach, and you hope that your abilities will lead to better results over the long haul."

Randa was no less critical is assessing himself.

"I haven't had a period of at-bats where I've felt locked in. I've been battling at the plate," he said. "And, yeah, it's been very frustrating. It's a lot easier when you struggle and you're still winning games to come out of it. But, when you're not winning, you put pressure on yourself, and it's harder to get out of it. I don't really feel like I've chipped in a lot."

Part of the reason for that, as team officials confirm, is that Randa has been slowed by injury. He has missed a total of five games because of a strained abdomen early in the month and a bruised right foot that continues to get treatment.

"I don't like to make excuses," he said. "You play this game long enough, I don't think you can point to a long stretch when you are healthy. You're always dealing with aches and pains, especially the older you get because they don't go away as quickly. You just have to try to figure out a way to get it done."

Expectations are higher, each player acknowledged, because of the big-fish-in-small-pond aspect of their contracts within a $47 million payroll.

Burnitz was asked if that might heighten pressure on him.

"I know exactly what you're asking and, no, I don't feel that way," he replied. "It doesn't matter who I'm playing for. Would I like to do better to help this organization make a turn in the right direction? Yeah, but I know what I do out there. I give it all I've got."

He let out a booming laugh.

"I haven't always had great years. I've had a couple decent years and one poor one. I've been through it all. I'll put the same effort forth. We'll see how it goes in the long term."

Randa compared the Pirates' situation to one he experienced in Kansas City in 2003. After a successful season, the Royals' management took the highly unusual step of adding to payroll and, as a result, adding to expectations. The next edition of the Royals flopped.

"It is frustrating when you do up the ante with the payroll and things don't work out, but nothing's guaranteed in this game," Randa said. "You've got a lot of very good starting pitching in this division and, if you don't match up well with them, it's going to be a tough go. The offense was supposed to be a strength for us, but that pitching has made it tough. And, when we don't score runs, it's tough for us to win games."

The Pirates' chances of winning would be greatly enhanced, of course, if Burnitz and Randa play to their career norms rather than their form of this month.

"We know what we have to do," Randa said. "We've all been going through it together. Nobody's been pointing any fingers. We all realize we haven't done our best. We've got to try to learn from what's happened, worry about one at-bat or one pitch at a time and kind of take baby steps to get out of it."

In the meantime, Tracy is adamant he will stick with each player. And not just because of their contracts.

"You're talking about players who have performed at a very consistent level over a long period of time, and performed very well," Tracy said. "I'm not about to use 50 or 60 at-bats to make any kind of judgment on them. They'll hit."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06118/685823-63.stm

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Littlefield is looking for a little patience:

ST. LOUIS -- General manager Dave Littlefield does not sound satisfied with the Pirates' 5-18 start, but he also does not sound as if he is on the verge of transforming the roster.

"These are the guys we're going to grow with, the guys we've spent the past few years drafting and developing and, in the case of some of the veterans, players we were able to get because we got some more revenue," he said yesterday after the team's seventh consecutive loss. "Will there be adjustments? Sure. You've seen we've had to make some based on injury. And I'm sure we'll make more."

Regarding young players, he continued to stress patience.

"In general, yes, we will give these players a chance. But each player has specific differences than others relative to their skill level or performance record in the past. You're going to see young players, in general, struggle. That's the norm. Rare is the Jason Bay that comes in and performs consistently at a high level."

Of the Pirates' performance to date, Littlefield said: "I'm like everybody in that I'm thoroughly disappointed with where we're at record-wise. We certainly had higher expectations. And I'm confident we'll get back on track."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06117/685465-63.stm

I sure hope that this team can get it together. I agree that they should have a far better record than they currently have. Hopefully they can turn this around.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Patience my ass.

You go out and pick up 3 30+ players and you expect us to be patient? No, Dave, no. *sigh*

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Oliver Perez surrendered four runs in 3 2/3 innings of work against the Cardinals on Sunday.
    Perez needed 106 pitches to retire 11 batters. He walked five, struck out four, and gave up six hits, including a pair of home runs. It could have been worse, but reliever Ryan Vogelsong struck out Pat Burrell with the bases loaded and two outs in the fourth. Perez hasn't shown any improvement in his command or ability to limit the long ball this season, so he's not recommended even against the Nationals later this week.

Unbelievable!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Pitching in the WBC didn't help him at all, right now, I don't even want to see him out there every 5th day, because

A. He's not a good bet to win, obviously.
    B. He's not a good bet to go 5 innings, which burns up the pen.

*sigh*

I miss the old Olly

Rookie ERA
    wow, whata sorry game last night. we finally get some results from santos and he gets zero support from the offense. when, if ever will we be able to play a complete game?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm not going to complain with the loss, but Vic certainly deserved to win last night. I'll take that performance any night.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast