Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Philly Phyles

MLB ERA
    Ryan Howard has fired agent Larry Reynolds in anticipation of discussions on a long-term deal with the Phillies.
    He's yet to pick a new agent. Howard is five years away from free agency, but he'll likely be a super-two player after next season, meaning he'd have four years of arbitration eligibility. With the counting numbers he's capable of putting up, he could set some records in arbitration if the Phillies decline to do a long-term deal.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Infielder Jose Hernandez will return to the Pirates on a minor league deal.
    Hernandez hit .267/.328/.350 in 120 at-bats before the Pirates traded him to the Phillies in August. The team doesn't have a left-handed hitter to platoon him with, so he's not a great fit. Still, as a 25th man, he's adequate.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    The Phillies don't plan to begin discussions on a long-term deal with Ryan Howard anytime soon.
    "We're not doing something on Ryan Howard. He's not our priority," assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said. The Phillies first want to get their five arbitration-eligible players squared away, and if a long-term deal is handed out before the beginning of the season, it's more likely to go to Chase Utley. The team's other arbitration eligibles are Brett Myers, Aaron Rowand, Ryan Madson and Geoff Geary. "Right now, Howard is far less a priority than those five guys," Amaro said. "It's likely to be a year-to-year thing at this point."

MLB ERA
    Phillies claimed RHP Anderson Garcia off waivers from the Orioles.
    The Orioles had claimed Garcia from the Mets in August. The soon-to-be 26-year-old reliever is a long shot to make it in the majors. He had a 3.84 ERA and a 49/25 K/BB ratio in 70 1/3 innings for five minor league teams last season.

Phillies signed infielder-outfielder Lou Collier to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Collier had spent time in indy ball since he last played in the majors with the Phillies in 2004. He'll head to Triple-A Ottawa.

Phillies signed second baseman Brent Abernathy to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Abernathy, 29, hit .287/.345/.358 for Triple-A Nashville last season. He never developed the bat to make it as a regular second baseman or the versatility to serve as a utilityman. As a result, he'll spend another season in Triple-A.

MLB ERA
    The Rangers and Padres are believed to have discussed Jon Lieber with the Phillies.
    Both teams are capable of offering the relief help that the Phillies need in return, though neither Akinori Otsuka nor Scott Linebrink should be on the table unless the Phillies are willing to include a quality prospect. Lieber is owed $7.5 million this season in the final year of his contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Free agent Karim Garcia has agreed to terms with the Phillies on a minor league deal, according to his agent.
    He picked them over the Rockies, who could now take an additional look at Todd Hollandsworth and John Mabry. Garcia, 31, has spent the last two seasons in Japan, hitting .281/.327/.477 with 34 homers in 663 at-bats.
    As a fourth OFer and a guy who can place first, he sin't that bad given his numbers in Japan. Maybe we will even get to see a Karim Garcia-Pedro Martinez rematch from the 2003 playoffs

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    From Dec. 19
    Phillies signed outfielder Jayson Werth, who had been with the Dodgers, to a one-year, $850,000 contract.

While it's a one-year deal, he'll be under control through 2009, as he has just three-plus years of service time. Werth is set to battle Shane Victorino and Jeff Conine for playing time in right field. He'll also back up Pat Burrell in left field. He would have made more sense on a team with left-handed-hitting outfielders, but if he can stay healthy and earn some at-bats, Citizens Bank Park should help him amass solid numbers.
    Source: Rotoworld

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Karim Garcia and Werth will have to fight til the death for a job.

MLB ERA
    Ryan Howard, who fired agent Larry Reynolds last month, has decident he'll be represented by Casey Close of Creative Artists Agency.
    Howard recently landed an endorsement deal with Topps trading cards and says he hopes for more commercial opportunities. It doesn't look like the Phillies are preparing to offer him a long-term deal this winter. "I can only get ready to play," he said. "If I play this season on a one-year contract, I'll play, and if it's a multiyear contract, I'll play. I'm anxious to get going, get out in the sun and get playing."

MLB ERA
    Phillies agreed to terms with RHP Ryan Madson on a one-year, $1.1 million contract.
    Madson, who was eligible for arbitration for the first time, wil be back in a setup role this year after struggling as a starter last season. He could be the Phillies' best choice to close if Tom Gordon gets hurt again.

Arbitration-eligible right-hander Brett Myers reportedly isn't pleased with the Phillies' one-year offer.
    Myers made $3.3 million last year in his first season of arbitration and is due a raise to $5 million at least. If contracts can't be reached before then, teams and players will exchange arbitration figures on Tuesday.

MLB ERA
    Phillies agreed to terms with outfielder Aaron Rowand on a one-year, $4.35 million contract.
    The Phillies saved $650,000 after declining to exercise their $5 million team option in November, but the center fielder should make that up next time the two sides negotiate. Rowand will be eligible for free agency after the season.

Phillies claimed infielder Greg Dobbs off waivers from the Mariners.
    Dobbs belongs in the National League as a pinch-hitter, and the Mariners viewed him as expendable after picking up Sean Burroughs. The 28-year-old Dobbs can handle both infield corners, but he doesn't offer enough power to play regularly at either spot. What he can do is hit for average, though he hasn't really showed it while batting .257/.297/.351 in 222 at-bats for the Mariners. If the Phillies opt to carry him, he'll probably be effective as a left-handed batter off the bench.

MLB ERA
    Phillies GM Pat Gillick said that Fabio Castro has a very good chance of being in the bullpen to start the year.
    The Phillies indicated two months ago that they were considering putting Castro, who spent all of last year in the majors as a Rule 5 pick, into the rotation in either Double- or Triple-A. However, they haven't been able to bring in the kind of relief help they were hoping for.

With the Phillies still employing six starters a the moment, Adam Eaton yesterday said that he would be a "good soldier" and pitch from the bullpen if asked.
    Cole Hamels is the only other guy who could potentially be dropped from the rotation for Jon Lieber, but he wouldn't be an option as a reliever. A Lieber trade is very likely to take place this spring. No one has met the Phillies' asking price so far, but something will get done, even if it doesn't happen until late March.

MLB ERA
    Phillies agreed to terms with second baseman Chase Utley on a seven-year, $85 million contract.
    Quite a deal for a player still three years away from free agency. Utley probably would have made about $25 million in his arbitration years, so the Phillies are spending $15 million per year on him for his first four years of free agency. It's a risky deal, especially since second basemen tend to age poorly. Still, he's showed that he's worthy of such a contract with his performance the last two years.

Chase Utley received a partial no-trade clause under the terms of the seven-year, $85 million contract he signed Sunday.
    Utley will receive a $2 million signing bonus, $4.5 million this season, $7.5 million next season, $11 million in 2009 and $15 million in each of the next four years. It wasn't reported how many teams he'll be able to block trades to, but he will be able to generate a new list of clubs each year.

MLB ERA
    Phillies agreed to terms with RHP Antonio Alfonseca on a one-year deal.
    Alfonseca, who was out of the league after being cut by the Rangers in June, gave up two runs and six hits in 9 1/3 innings in the Dominican Winter League. The Phillies are hopeful he'll settle in as a setup man, though they should be pleased if he just turns out to be an adequate middle reliever. He's had just one solid year in the last four.

Scott Mathieson is on schedule to begin throwing in minor league games in July and could return from Tommy John surgery in September.
    That's the public stance. However, considering that Mathieson didn't undergo surgery until Sept. 29 and is only turning 23 next month, the Phillies shouldn't consider rushing him back this year. He remains a fine prospect for the long-term, but it's doubtful that he'd be of much use even if he did return in September.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said he plans to keep Pat Burrell in the fifth spot in the order at the beginning of the spring.
    The club still doesn't want to flip Chase Utley and Ryan Howard around, so Burrell is the best choice on the roster to hit behind Howard. If he gets off to a slow start, Manuel could move him down in the order and give Wes Helms a try.

Because he's expecting to do more running this year, Jimmy Rollins hasn't packed on his usual extra 10 pounds this offseason.
    Rollins is also hoping to avoid one of his typical slow starts. April has been his worst month both in production at the plate and in basestealing. With Davey Lopes hired in part to improve the Phillies as basestealers, Rollins could make a run at 50 this year. "I know I can definitely step my stolen-base game up," Rollins said. "I never really had anyone [like Lopes] to teach me."

The Phillies haven't ruled out re-signing right-hander Rick White to a minor league contract.
    White had a 5.15 ERA in 64 2/3 innings for the Reds and Phillies last season. It was the third time in four years that he finished with an ERA over 5.00.

MLB ERA
    Phillies signed outfielder Karim Garcia to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Confirmation of a deal that was done more than two weeks ago. Garcia, who hit .281/.327/.477 with 34 homers in 663 at-bats in Japan the last two years, will battle for a spot as a reserve outfielder and pinch-hitter.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast