CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Tom Gordon couldn't pass up the chance to finish his career as a closer.

Gordon first had the itch to close games again during last season when he was a setup man with the New York Yankees. Once he became a free agent, the 38-year-old right-hander got that opportunity from the Philadelphia Phillies.

"I started throwing my curve ball for strikes. I was pitching aggressively," Gordon said Saturday. "If I had a bad game, I would bounce back. I knew I could do it again."

The Phillies are counting on Gordon to replace All-Star closer Billy Wagner, who signed a $43.5 million contract with the New York Mets. Gordon got a $18 million, three-year deal, even though he hasn't been a full-time closer since 2001 and has had arm problems in the past.

"That doesn't worry me. Setting up is a lot like closing," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "I've seen Gordon pitch a lot. I think he's still got good stuff, the same stuff as two years ago when I saw him. I think he's going to do the job for us."

An All-Star in 1998 and 2004, Gordon went 5-4 with two saves and a 2.57 ERA in 79 games as a setup man for Mariano Rivera with the Yankees last season. He held opponents to a .203 average, allowing only 59 hits in 80 2-3 innings.

Over the last five seasons, Gordon has a 2.82 ERA and opponents are batting .205 against him in 306 appearances. Wagner had 38 saves and a 1.51 ERA last year.

"To some degree, (closing) is similar to being a setup man," Gordon said. "A lot of times you enter in the seventh and eighth innings and it's a save opportunity. The different aspect is you have to have the makeup, the attitude and a short memory. One day, you're the greatest thing and the next day you stink. The good thing for me is I've done it and had success."

Gordon had a 2.72 ERA and 46 saves in 73 games in 1998 with Boston. He once held the major-league record for consecutive games saved with 54, which he set during the 1998 and '99 seasons with the Red Sox. Los Angeles Dodgers closer Eric Gagne broke that record in 2003.

Gordon missed the entire 2000 season after recovering from Tommy John surgery, but hasn't been on the disabled list since 2002.

"He's filthy. His ball explodes on you," said new Phillies center fielder Aaron Rowand, who played with Gordon on the White Sox. "His curve ball has gotten better and better every season. He's lights-out and he has absolute nerves of steel on the mound. I've never see him lose his composure once."

Nicknamed "Flash" early in his career, Gordon has done it all during 17 seasons with six teams. He began his career in Kansas City in 1988 and won 17 games as a starter the following year.

He went back-and-forth from starting to pitching out of the bullpen over the next eight seasons, before becoming a full-time closer with Boston in 1998.

Gordon is wearing No. 45 with the Phillies to honor Tug McGraw, the late closer who helped Philadelphia win its only World Series championship in 1980. Gordon said he was a kid when he first saw McGraw pitch on television. Gordon's father turned to him and said: "Son, that's Tug McGraw." He didn't need to hear anything else. "I knew that meant he was good," Gordon said. "Plus I liked his name."

Notes: Catcher Carlos Ruiz and reliever Aquilino Lopez were due to arrive at camp after being delayed because of visa problems. ... When Chase Utley heads to Arizona to play for the U.S. in next month's inaugural World Baseball Classic, the Phillies will get a look at other infielders like Matt Kata. "I want to play Kata. I didn't get to see Kata last year," Manuel said. "The way things happened. This gives me a chance."
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns