CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Ryan Howard began last season as trade bait and finished it as the National League Rookie of the Year.

The Phillies' hulking first baseman no longer wonders where he'll be playing. Now that Jim Thome is gone, Howard could be a fixture in Philadelphia's lineup for a long time.

For some, replacing a fan favorite who is a four-time All-Star and has 430 career homers would be tougher than facing Randy Johnson's fastball. The 25-year-old Howard is prepared to fill big shoes.

"I'm just going to go out and play the best I can and not put any extra pressure on myself," Howard said Friday. "My mind-set is the same. I'm just coming in and trying to get ready."

Howard had just 28 at-bats before July 1 last season, but finished the year with a .288 batting average, 22 homers and 63 RBIs in only 88 games. He hit nine of those homers in September, setting a major league record for rookies in that month and proving that he can thrive under the pressure of a pennant race.

The left-handed hitting Howard couldn't wait to build on his bust-out season, so he arrived early for spring training with pitchers and catchers this week. He spent the winter on the banquet circuit, being honored and collecting awards.

"It was hectic and crazy going all over," Howard said.

At least it wasn't as unsettling as the first couple of months last season. Howard started at Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre before joining the Phillies on May 3 when Thome first went on the disabled list. He only got nine at-bats and was demoted when Thome returned. Howard came up for good on July 1 after hitting .371 with 16 homers and 54 RBIs in 61 games at Scranton.

Once the season ended -- the Phillies finished one game behind Houston for the NL wild-card spot -- solving the Thome/Howard dilemma was a top priority for management. Soon after Pat Gillick replaced Ed Wade as general manager, Thome was sent to the World Series champion Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand and two minor-league pitchers.

"With Jim being traded, it's a relief because you don't have to answer those questions any more," Howard said. "At the same time, you wish him the best of luck and hope he comes back and has the same kind of year he's been having."

Thome hit a total of 89 home runs in his first two seasons in Philadelphia before back and elbow injuries limited him to 59 games last year, when he slumped to .207 with seven homers and 30 RBIs in 193 at-bats.

The Phillies think so highly of Howard they agreed to give the White Sox $22 million as part of the deal for the 35-year-old Thome, who is owed $46 million over the final three seasons of his $85 million, six-year contract.

"His first time up in the big leagues, he was anxious and he tried too hard to prove he belonged," manager Charlie Manuel said. "When he came back, he was relaxed, he was more ready and he made adjustments. As the season went on, he got better. He works hard and he likes to be a player for us when it counts. Plus, he's big."

At 6-foot-4 and 252 pounds, Howard is an intimidating presence at the plate. He came in looking lean after "cleaning up" his diet in the offseason.

Howard is slated to bat sixth in a formidable lineup that includes Jimmy Rollins, Bobby Abreu, Chase Utley and Pat Burrell. Manuel expects to sit Howard against tough left-handers to give right-handed hitting utility infielder Alex Gonzalez some at-bats.

Howard struggled against lefties last year, batting just .148 (9-for-61) with one homer and six RBIs.

"I just need to get more experience," Howard said.

A fifth-round pick in 2001, Howard emerged as the Phillies' top prospect after hitting 23 homers at Single-A Clearwater in 2003. Howard hit 48 homers the following year, including 37 in 102 games at Double-A Reading, nine at Scranton and two with the Phillies.

With Thome blocking his path to the majors, Howard often was the first name mentioned in trade rumors as the Phillies sought pitching help before the trade deadline in 2004 and throughout the offseason. But Wade never found the right deal and couldn't part with Howard once Thome got hurt. Keeping Howard turned out to be Wade's best move.

"He's one reason why we had the success that we had last season," Manuel said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns