Link

PHILADELPHIA -- This wasn't the call Charlie Manuel expected to get Monday afternoon as he ran errands near his Winter Haven, Fla., home.

Through a bad connection, he heard an emotional Ed Wade explain that he'd been dismissed by the Phillies, meaning Manuel would be getting a new boss.

"I didn't know what to say," said Manuel. "I told him I appreciated everything that he did for me, and for giving me the chance to manage again. I don't think the media and the fans got to know Ed Wade like I did. I have a lot of respect for him because he always put the Phillies first. He lived and died Phillies."

Manuel understands the business as well as anyone, so he gets that he's not as secure as he was last week, when Wade made the not-so-surprising announcement that Manuel, along with his coaching staff, would return for the second year of his three-year contract.

Despite the extremely kind words reiterated by team president David Montgomery regarding the job done by Manuel and his staff, the manager also understands that the new general manager may feel differently. He won't lose any sleep, though, and expects to be in a Phillies uniform for the next two springs.

Manuel's calm approach mirrors the demeanor that carried him through an exciting season, and he refuses to worry about things he can't control. The 61-year-old lived through a general manager transition in Cleveland. He was hired as manager by John Hart in 2000 and dismissed by Mark Shapiro midway through the 2002 season.

"It's a different transition because you get somebody new," Manuel said. "I understand that a new general manager wants to bring in his own people. When you sign on, that's the reality of the sport, and I understand that part. I'm not worried about it. I want us to get the right guy, and I'm sure David will do that.

"I got two years left on my contract, and I plan on winning here. That's what I came here to do. I have a good coaching staff, and this team is ready to go further."

Ironically, Hart is one of the many names speculated as a possible replacement for Wade. Hart resigned as general manager of the Rangers earlier this month. The relationship between Hart and Manuel goes back to 1984, when they managed against each other in the Minor Leagues.

"I've been around John for a long time, and I feel we have a very good relationship," Manuel said. "I'd love to work with him again. We work well together. I'm sure David will do what's best for the organization. I support whatever decision he makes."

Wade, Montgomery and Manuel each talked about the agony of watching the Astros' 18-inning marathon win on Sunday, noting it could have been the Phillies. All three said if it had, this could have been a much different offseason.

Ultimately, Montgomery decided that close wasn't good enough this season, and for that, Manuel also takes responsibility.

"When we started this year, we had a goal of winning the World Series," Manuel said. "We didn't make the playoffs and I didn't do my job.

"I feel bad because I know baseball is Ed's life. Nobody worked harder or longer than Ed, and I feel fine saying that. [Wade] brought me into the organization, and we had a good working relationship. I wish him nothing but the best. I feel like he'll be OK. It sounds like he still wants to be a general manager. He can do the job."