Thread: Tucker pleased with trade

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Tucker pleased with trade

08/28/2005 8:35 PM ET
    Notes: Tucker happy to be a Phillie
    Lidle put on 15-day disabled list with strained left oblique
    By Jason Skoda / Special to MLB.com

PHOENIX -- If nothing else, Michael Tucker does not have to feel guilty any more.
    Tucker, who the Phillies acquired Saturday from San Francisco, let Jimmy Rollins have one of his bats after Rollins picked one up and liked the way it felt around the batting cage at SBC Park last week.

Rollins liked the 33-ouncer so much, he ended using it a couple of times and banged out a couple of hits against the Giants.

"I think he got a couple hits against us," Tucker said. "He almost hit a couple out of the ballpark. I was like, 'You [aren't] supposed to use it against us. Wait until the next series.' But now I have a whole gang of bats for him. He can use it a game today, tomorrow, whenever, as long as he keeps getting doubles and triples."

That's the approach the 34-year-old left-handed hitter is taking with his role on the Phillies: Help any way he can.

The initial plan is for Tucker to be used mostly as a pinch-hitter, as his power from the left side is something the team's bench was lacking.

"It's one of those things where you try to fit in best as possible and be ready whatever time they need you," he said. "They brought me in here because they think I can help, and hopefully it works out."

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said it is important to have someone like Tucker on the bench to turn to late in the game.

"He adds experience and a little more power to our bench," he said. "If we need someone to pop the ball, Tucker is more consistent [than the left-handed swinging Endy Chavez] at getting doubles or home runs. In order for him to do a good job for us, he is going to have to play for us now and again."

Manuel mentioned using Tucker in left field on days Pat Burrell needs a day off.

Tucker was batting .240 with five home runs and 34 RBIs in 250 at-bats in his second year with the Giants. His role was diminished when the team acquired Randy Winn from Seattle at the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Tucker has one hit in his last 10 at-bats off the bench.

Tucker, a career .258 hitter in more than 4,000 at-bats, is ready for anything and excited about jumping into a pennant race.

"I picked up a few games [in the standings]," said Tucker, of leaving the fourth-place Giants. "It feels good to go to a place where you know you have a chance to go to the postseason."

Philadephia led the Wild Card race entering Sunday night's game with Arizona and was four games behind Atlanta, where Tucker played in 1997-98.

"Every time I go back there [Atlanta], I want to do well," Tucker said. "Not to show them up, but to show them that I am still playing good. If we happen to knock them out, that would be good. Right now, I feel like I can still play. I'll do what I can to help this team win."

Jim Thome was moved to the 60-day disabled list to open a spot for Tucker on the 40-man roster.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...=.jsp&c_id=phi

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Giants got a nice young arm for Tucker which negates the fact we gave up a draft pick to get him. Awesome!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'd be pleased with the trade if I were Tucker, too, it's always nice to go from a 4th-place team to a wild card leader.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.