Thread: Thome done for season

Thome done for season

Jim Thome will have season-ending surgery on his right elbow next week, the Phillies announced.
    This comes as quite a surprise. The Phillies are calling Thome's injury a frayed tendon. We imagine that some would have gutted it out and elected for surgery after the season. The Phillies will be OK with Ryan Howard at first base for the rest of the year, but Howard isn't a healthy Jim Thome

Can the Phils contend without Thome? I say yes, with the way Howard's been playing.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    I like it that Howard will continue getting solid playing time as he is the future but I don't know what kind of message that is to be sending for a team that is supposedly in contention and he's going to call it a season. I know I know, I am not an athlete, it's not my life, blah blah. But damn, if one of the leaders of the team don't believe that it's not worth at least trying to come back to help, I don't know....

I say this as a big Thome fan too. Maybe I just expect too much.

Howard kinda reminds me of Frank Thomas.

And that's a very good thing for Philly fans.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    Wasn't Thome struggling anyways? If I remember right and he was, then he will be missed but not too badly.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle