Thread: Wagner expected to be back nest season!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Wagner expected to be back nest season!

Wagner expecting to stay with Phils
    By RANDY MILLER
    phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA - If Billy Wagner were a betting man, the All-Star closer would put his money on getting a new deal from the Phillies before free agency becomes an option this fall.

"I do think I'll be back ... because both sides want it," Wagner said Thursday before getting the final three outs of a 6-4 victory over the Chicago Cubs.

A team source said the Phillies offered a two-year, $16-million deal with a club option last week while Wagner countered with a three-year, $24-million proposal that includes a no-trade clause.

"I don't want to get into what's on the table, but I expect the Phillies and my agent [Bean Stringfellow] to work out a deal," said Wagner, who is 4-1 with a terrific 1.89 ERA and 25 saves in 27 chances this season.

Phillies General Manager Ed Wade asked Wagner to take a "hometown discount" while the team visited Houston last week and the pitcher agreed ... to a point.

By Wagner's views, accepting a extension for three years and $24 million would be a discount. Not only would he be accepting a $1 million per season cut from his current three-year, $27-million deal, but it's believed his market value on the open market would be significantly higher, probably in the $10-million per season range.

"I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot and take a whole lot less, but I'll give them a discount as long as it's done by September," Wagner said. "I think they'd be stupid not to realize that what I want isn't overpaying for what they say I am, a premier closer."

The no-trade clause is a must for any deal, Wagner said.

"I don't want to keep hearing my name in trade rumors every year," he said.

Contrary to reports, Wagner says his camp and not the Phillies began the negotiating process.

"Initially, we contacted the Phillies in June just to see if there was any way we could get something done," Wagner said. "They said they had to wait and see."

A month later, the Phillies made a first offer that wasn't accepted, then explored trade options before opting to keep Wagner for their playoff push.

It's believed the Phillies' initial proposal was for $6.5 million in 2006, $7.5 million in 2007 and either a $8 million club option or $2 million buyout in 2008.

"My family likes it here and I think the team is committed to winning, so I'd like to stay," Wagner said.

But the clock is running.

"We really have until the end of the season and that's it," Wagner said. "After that, I'd be dumb not to see what's out there. I hope it doesn't get to that point and I don't think it will."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...05-523884.html

AA ERA
    Wow. Teams really are paying a lot for closers now. 8 Million a year :O. I wouldn't give him 3 years at 8 mil with a trade clause. Too much money if you can't trade him.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree, that is a little too much. No doubt Wagner is a very good closer, but that is far too much money for one relief pitcher no matter how you put it. The closer's position is becoming very popular these days.

Although no agreement was reached last month, Billy Wagner thinks he and the Phillies will work out a new contract.
    ''I do think I'll be back ... because both sides want it,'' Wagner said. The Phillies reportedly offered Wagner a two-year, $16-million deal with a club option for 2008 last week. Wagner countered with a three-year, $24-million proposal that included a no-trade claus
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    PhillyBurbs.com: "If Billy Wagner were a betting man, the All-Star closer would put his money on getting a new deal from the Phillies before free agency becomes an option this fall."

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/phillies/rumors.html

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Although no agreement was reached last month, Billy Wagner thinks he and the Phillies will work out a new contract.
    ''I do think I'll be back ... because both sides want it,'' Wagner said. The Phillies reportedly offered Wagner a two-year, $16-million deal with a club option for 2008 last week. Wagner countered with a three-year, $24-million proposal that included a no-trade claus
    Uhh, I love Billy The Kid, but I'll pass on that deal. Two years I can see, but three years is way too long considering what can possibly go wrong as he gets older, with losing his stuff an velocity possibly.