Thread: Are the White Sox possibly interested in Wagner?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Are the White Sox possibly interested in Wagner?

Do Sox have time to get Wagner?

By Barry Rozner
    Daily Herald Sports Columnist
    Posted Thursday, July 21, 2005

The advent of the wild card has rewarded mediocrity and been fabulous for fans of the also-rans. You can’t argue with that.

It has also made the July 31 trade deadline a nightmare for the general managers of contending teams, because a dozen clubs that otherwise would be sellers aren’t ready to cash out when they still see the postseason as a possibility.

That’s why MLB ought to move the trade deadline two weeks — or maybe even more.

Let’s take the Phillies, for example. They believe they’re in it right now but ought to know one way or the other in four weeks, too late for them to get Billy Wagner to the South Side of Chicago without having to clear him through waivers.

Maybe you think the White Sox have enough in the bullpen already, and you might be right, but you bring in a player like Wagner and he virtually guarantees you a trip to the World Series.

Call us crazy, but you throw Wagner in the ninth and back up — in whatever order — Dustin Hermanson, Damaso Marte, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts into the eighth, seventh and sixth, and you’ve turned every contest into a five-inning game of pure intimidation.

Assuming Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Jon Garland stay healthy, you’ve pretty much told the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels that they better get a couple on the board by the time their cleanup hitter bats the second time or they’re toast.

You need only look at the 1990 Cincinnati Reds to understand that when an opposing offense feels that kind of pressure in a playoff game, it makes even the best players squeeze the dust out of their bats.

Just one opinion, but we believe a monster closer might be all that’s standing between the Sox and a championship.

Now if only they can find a team willing to give him up in the next 11 days.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=75708

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    The Phillies will not be in it, give up the dream Wade. Madson can step into the closers role and we can hopefully move Billy The Kid for some minor league talent. I wonder what they would be willing to give up? I have my eye on a few players of theirs as it is.

"That’s why MLB ought to move the trade deadline two weeks — or maybe even more."
    That's bullshit, straight up. Part of the allure of the deadline is the risk, especially for those teams that are borderline. You never will know if you don't try and that's why I enjoy seeing teams take risks. Do we really want to see more teams with pathetic complete firesales as a result of what this writer is suggesting? I certainly do not.

Rookie ERA

Giants

Now that they dont have Worrel, would they still trade Wagner?
    Love me now or hate me more.

AA ERA
    Phillies should definitely sell. I think that much is true. Wagner would be a great pickup for the White Sox. Or the Red Sox for that matter.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    And both have prospects that I would love to get. Phillies fans better hope that for once in his life, Wade won't be a fool. Let's re-stock the farm.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Phillies are still in the thick of the division race, although you are likely correct that they will fall out of contention. By trading Wagner, Wade will be waving the white flag and your fellow Phillies fans will not be as happy about it as you are. Besides, when is the last time Wade acquired prospects that panned out for the Phillies?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Uh, Bobby Abreu, I think.

That was, what, 1998?

MLB ERA
    Can we make The Philly Fanatic (the member here, not the mascot) GM of the Phillies? As long as it's not a McCarthy and Anderson for Wagner (or something along those lines) swap, I love the idea and I think it would greatly benefit both sides (especially since Wagner might walk at the end of the year anyway). That would solidify the Sox bullpen and the damage done to the Sox bullpen with the possible loss of Damaso Marte in an A.J. Burnett deal would be far lessened (if not eliminated) by the addition of Wagner. The only problems would be whether or not Sox ownership be willing to cough up the cash to sign both to extensions at season's end, and the extent of the damage to the Sox farm system.

Baseball Guru
    Rookie ERA
    Damaso Marte and McCarthy would probaly be included in that deal for Wagner. So it would probaly be Politte, Hermanson, and Wagner in those late innings.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    The Phillies are still in the thick of the division race, although you are likely correct that they will fall out of contention. By trading Wagner, Wade will be waving the white flag and your fellow Phillies fans will not be as happy about it as you are. Besides, when is the last time Wade acquired prospects that panned out for the Phillies?
    Yes they are despite losing two in a row. And even if we do make the playoffs, we do not have the depth to make it very far. Trading Wagner for a stud prospect (which given his season, his stuff and his name we could likely demand) is much better than letting him walk in a few months.

And there is a first time for everything. When Wade does make a smart move, I will gladly lace up my ice skates in hell and enjoy the winter wonderland.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    Can we make The Philly Fanatic (the member here, not the mascot) GM of the Phillies? As long as it's not a McCarthy and Anderson for Wagner (or something along those lines) swap, I love the idea and I think it would greatly benefit both sides (especially since Wagner might walk at the end of the year anyway).
    Who the hell do you think I would want? I am not a fool about where this team stands but I am realistic. If for some reason our sucker of a GM can sucker someone even more ignorant, I am all for it. And Ken Williams has made some questionable moves in the past despite your team's success (well deserved at that by his moves.) We are still in the race but if for some reason we can get a top prospect like some analysts suggest, I am all for it.

MLB ERA
    Key phrase: A TOP PROSPECT

I'm not saying that I don't think the Sox should move some of their best prospects, but a deal like that would be stupid. I just don't want a ridiculously lopsided deal for a possible rental player, which that would be IMO.