Thread: A look at the Phillies farm system

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA

A look at the Phillies farm system

A MIDSEASON FARM REPORT

By PAUL HAGEN

A glance at the Phillies' minor-league system and five of the overachievers and underachievers during the season's first half. Mike Arbuckle, the team's assistant general manager, provides the comments.

FIVE ON THE RISE

P Cole Hamels, 21 years old

Bats L-Throws L, Reading (AA)

At Clearwater, 2-0, 2.25, 3 games, 16 innings, 7 walks, 18 strikeouts

At Reading, 0-0, 3.00, 1 game, 6 innings, 3 walks, 6 strikouts

"Everything he's shown so far has been really positive, especially his pitchability. His command has been very impressive, especially considering how much time he missed."

--

C Lou Marson, 19

R-R, Batavia (A)

17 games, .290-2 HR-8 RBI, 3 walks, 15 strikeouts

"His catching and throwing continue to improve. He's developing the ability to run a staff. He's showing good power and developing the ability to run a staff. [Jason] Jaramillo is a little ahead of him because he's a little older, but we think one of these guys is our catcher of the future."

--

CF Michael Bourn, 22

L-R, Reading (AA)

86 games, .283-4-27, 5 triples, 56 runs, 27 stolen bases, 46 walks, 79 strikeouts

"He was jumped a league [to Double-A Reading] and more than held his own. In the last couple weeks, it looks like he's really catching up at the plate. He's handling all types of pitching at the Double-A level."

--

OF Chris Roberson, 25

S-R, Reading (AA)

88 games, .313-6-41, 17 doubles, 6 triples, 22 stolen bases, 29 walks, 66 strikeouts

"He continues to make good strides. He's hanging around .300 and has been consistent against all types of pitching. He's improving defensively and is developing more feel as a baserunner, which is what we wanted him to do."

--

IF Brad Harman, 19

R-R, Lakewood (A)

62 games, .309-3-30, 18 doubles, 2 stolen bases, 9 caught stealing, 26 walks, 59 strikeouts

"We've been moving him back and forth between second base and shortstop at Lakewood. He's pretty young for that league and has made quite a few errors, but he's making good adjustments defensively and is hitting the ball into the gaps."

--

--

FIVE ON THE DECLINE

3B Juan Richardson, 26

R-R, Reading (AA)

79 games, .239-8-33, 0 steals, 4 caught stealing, 23 walks, 66 strikeouts, 16 errors

"He's definitely struggled offensively and defensively. He's having a tough year. He hasn't handled the better pitching at that level. It seems like his bat is always struggling to catch up. His arm isn't all the way back [from 2003 shoulder surgery] and he seems to be in a mental funk."

--

OF Jorge Padilla, 25

R-R, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (AAA)

At Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, 10 games, .263-0-2, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts

At Clearwater, 14 games, .305-0-6, 4 doubles, 3 walks, 7 strikeouts

"We've tried for a long time to get him to make some adjustments at the plate. He's finally showing a willingness to do that, but he's in his eighth pro season, so this is kind of a do-or-die year for him."

--

P Keith Bucktrot, 24

L-R, Reading (AA)

At Clearwater, 3 games, 1-1, 4.60, 15 2/3 innings, 7 walks, 9 strikeouts

At Reading, 6 games, 2-1, 5.54, 37 1/3 innings, 16 walks, 15 strikeouts

"He's been plagued with inconsistency. He can be lights out one inning and then come out the next inning and lack command. His secondary pitches haven't improved. He's had a little bit of a tender arm and we backed him off, but it's time for him to put it together."

--

SS John Hardy, 22

R-R, Batavia (A)

At Lakewood, 32 games, .120-0-5, 10 walks, 21 strikeouts

At Batavia, 10 games, .390-0-6, double, 2 triples, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts

"He struggled both with the bat and defensively at Lakewood, so we've moved him back to Batavia. He's showing some signs of bouncing back, but this isn't the normal progression you'd expect to see from a college [University of Arizona] player."

--

P Zach Segovia, 22

R-R, Clearwater (A)

16 games, 1-9, 6.14 ERA, 80 2/3 innings, 9 home runs, 30 walks, 52 strikeouts

"He's still trying to come back from [October 2003] Tommy John elbow surgery. He's been having trouble holding his command and velocity, but we'll see how he looks in another year."
    http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/12110953.htm

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Bucktrot has been a huge dissappointment for me. I thought not too long ago that he would rocket through the system, while working out his kinks and find himself to be a very solid MLB pitcher.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If Bucktrots only issues is inconsistency and tender arm problems. I wouldnt be too concerned considering he wont rocket thru the organization. I can relate with Choo whos seems to be in the M's system forever.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    I like the approach of looking at 5 on the rise and the decline.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    If Bucktrots only issues is inconsistency and tender arm problems. I wouldnt be too concerned considering he wont rocket thru the organization. I can relate with Choo whos seems to be in the M's system forever.
    At 24 though, he will need to start putting it together and finding that consistency. "Rocket" may of been a strong word but I feel that he should be working his way through a bit quicker, but that's the life of a prospect.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Choo is like 23 but hes been in the system for like 6 or 7 years. Only time will tell to see if he pans out. At least he wont be a Rick Short, you would hope.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Do you know how weird it is to recognize a lot of those names simply from being in a sim league?

Oh, and for the results?
    Robertson busted.
    Richardson became a prolific AA hitter.
    Zegovia busted
    Bucktrot busted
    J-Pads got some time in the majors
    Roberson busted
    Hamels declined before I got control of the team (the sim year) and proceeded to blow. Gavin Floyd became a nice addition and Myers was a beast before he got injured.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Hopefully Myers will be be a stud for years to come... it's needed.