Thread: Hamels First Big Payday

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Phillies Hamels First Big Payday

The New York Post reports the Phillies have agreed to terms with LHP Cole Hamels on a three-year, $20.5 million contract.
    Hamels will receive $4.35 million in 2009, $6.65 million in 2010 and $9.5 million in 2011. Though it does extend Hamels three years, the contract does not buy out any of his free agent years. It does, however, offer cost certainty with one of the best pitchers in the majors during his arbitration years. Just 25 years old, Hamels posted a 14-10 record in 2008 before dominating the playoffs to the tune of 4-0 with a 1.80 ERA.
    Nothing wrong with keeping your ace happy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hamels First Big Payday

seeing the contract breakdown... like it for both sides. even with not buying any of his contract years, in arby... presumably... he'll make about that anyway, and youre showing a long term investment to the guy, for after those 3 years are over, that you were willing to not cause excess problems and try to penny pinch him.

Rookie ERA

YES! I would have liked maybe 1 more year but it still makes me happy.

MLB ERA

Good move for the Phillies. They needed to go ahead and lock him in, even though it's only 3 years.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Good move to lock him in. He's a very good young pitcher. He has room for improvement still, but I don't doubt he'll get there.