Thread: The 40 Million Dollar Man: Jimmy Rollins

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The 40 Million Dollar Man: Jimmy Rollins

Wow.

Rollins draws five-year extension with Phillies
    PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Jimmy Rollins believes he's played like one of the top shortstops in baseball. Now, he's getting paid like one.

Rollins agreed to a $40 million, five-year contract extension with the team on Monday. The 26-year-old shortstop has spent his entire career with Philadelphia and was eligible for free agency after the 2006 season.

His contract includes a $5 million signing bonus. Philadelphia holds a club option for 2011 at $8.5 million with a $2 million buyout. If the Phillies exercise the option, the total value of the contract would increase to $46.5 million.

"We've never envisioned our ballclub going forward without Jimmy," Phillies general manager Ed Wade said. "He brings a lot of energy and is a catalyst for this team."

This season, Rollins has hit .263 with five home runs, 19 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 62 games.

Rollins wanted a contract extension during spring training. When talks fell through, Rollins said he wouldn't seek a new contract until after the season. That changed on Monday.

"After spring training, I had put it out of my mind," Rollins said. "To get it done at this point, it shows that they wanted me more than I thought they did."

Rollins knows that with the new contract comes new responsibilities.

"Now, it's my turn to join the big crew with Bobby (Abreu), Jim (Thome), and Pat (Burrell)," Rollins said. "With a long-term contract, I feel that gives me a chance to be a leader on this club with those guys."

The Phillies completed one of their best homestands in their history, going 12-1 against San Francisco, Arizona, Texas and Milwaukee.

"It's fun here," Rollins said. "I've always enjoyed playing here. The fans are tough sometimes, but they always show up."

Rollins will have a chance to celebrate the payday with his family. The Oakland, native will return home this weekend when the Phillies take on the A's.

"The only thing that would be better when I went back to Oakland is if we had won the World Series. This is the next best thing," Rollins said. "It's going to be great to go home after something like this."

He was an NL All-Star in 2001-02, leading the league in triples both seasons. In 2001, he tied for the league lead in stolen bases with 46 and from 2001-04, his fielding percentage of .981 was best among NL shortstops.
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...tm?POE=SPOISVA

AA ERA
    I always thought of him as a pretty good hitter, but this year he hasn't been great.

That said, $8,000,000 a year is too much by a lot.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

He's not bad, but he ain't worth that kinda money.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Overpaid

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Overpaid and overrated. Some Phillies fans were actually upset because he wasn't selected to the All-Star Game. It's amazing to me that more were not upset due to the insane contract that Ed Wade gave him. His on-base percentage rests at a healthy .309 with his slugging percentage ALMOST at .400. But he can turn a double into a triple sometimes and he can steal some bases!!!!! Yeah, that's worth 40 million.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Phillies were probably better off playing Polanco at shortstop and shopping Rollins if Rollins was going to cost that much to retain.