Thread: Phillies interested in Bedard, Oswalt, Burnett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Rumor Phillies interested in Bedard, Oswalt, Burnett

A lot of arms. From the Philly Enquirer:

Mariners lefty Erik Bedard, appears to be headed toward the disabled list, though it isn't clear how that affects his trade value or the strength of the Phillies' interest in him. Other names that could be on the market are Blue Jays righthander A.J. Burnett and Astros righthander Roy Oswalt. Both have pitched and won against the Phillies this season, but Burnett's contract isn't very club-friendly. He can opt out after this season, meaning if he pitches well there is a good chance he ends up as a free agent. And if he pitches poorly and decides not to opt out, he has 2 years remaining at $12 million a year.
    I just watched Burnett last night and his stuff still looks real good. Real good. Any one of these pitchers could boost their playoff hopes. Although Bedard and Oswalt have not performed to par, they still are credible assets for a winning team.

MLB ERA

Re: Phillies interested in Bedard, Oswalt, Burnett

True, but moving to that park wouldn't help anyone. Yes, they could be helpful, but they'd have to pick it up, and they'd have to stay healthy. Plus, what would the Phillies be trading? From every source I check, the Phillies farm system is just as weak as that of my Mets, who are said to be unable to acquire anyone big.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Phillies interested in Bedard, Oswalt, Burnett

Brad Lidge is doing extremely well in that ballpark so it can be done. Oswalt is the best out of all of them. Plus he wouldn't be a one year fix. I would be going after Oswalt hard. Forget Bedard! He hasn't pitched 100 pitches yet this year.