Thread: Myers Loses 4th Straight

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Myers Loses 4th Straight

Brett Myers managed to avoid giving up any homeruns against the astros saturday, but still fell as Houston won 4-3 (after winning 4-3 Friday too). Myers struggled early, giving up early runs in the first inning. The astros would manage 8 hits off Myers in six innings, as well as drawing 4 walks. The four earned leaves Myers sitting pretty with a 5.79 ERA. In comparison, Brian Moehler of the astros went six innings while only giving up two earned. The phillies chose not to bother with Lance Berkman, walking him 3 times. Carlos Lee provided plenty of offense with 3 RBIs.

Ryan Howard, hoping to be out of a season long slump, had 3 RBIs on a two run shot and a double. Howard raised his average to .209

Brett Myers fell to 2-6 on the season.

The Official Site of The Philadelphia Phillies: News: Boxscore

Phillies pitching coach, Ruch Dubee, feels Myers is not far from coming out of his own slump.

HOUSTON -- Phillies pitcher Brett Myers is in an extended slump, but pitching coach Rich Dubee doesn't think the big right-hander is that far from coming out of it.

"I think he's close," Dubee said. "I think three good innings might do it. That's how fast he could get out of this. This game is built on momentum."

Myers' momentum currently is going the wrong direction. He has five losses and two no-decisions in his past seven starts, including a 4-3 decision to the Astros on Saturday for his fourth straight loss.

"Just like last night, he was a pitch away from getting out of the first inning," Dubee said of a two-run inning against the Astros. "When you're not in a good flow of things, that's what happens. When things are going well, you just relax and let it flow."

Myers leads the National League in runs allowed, with 46. He's also tied with the Astros' Roy Oswalt for the Major League lead in home runs allowed with 15 and is second to Oswalt in hits allowed in the NL with 82.

Dubee thinks a lot of the problem is confidence.

"I thought his confidence was gaining," Dubee said. "But then [against Houston], I thought it started going back again. He fights himself a lot."

Myers hasn't won since April 17, against the Astros in Philadelphia.

"He's just not real sure of himself right now," Dubee said. "He needs to know he can do it. He's done it before. He won 13 games in '05, so he can do it."
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Myers Loses 4th Straight

He was hitting 92 on the gun.

Closed
    AAA ERA

This guy has been hit kinda hard 82 hits in 65.2 innings.

MLB ERA

Hit kinda hard is an understatement....

He really has not been the same after being in the relief role, which he actually did admirably....

Maybe, just maybe, it should be thought of to actually put him back into the pen... It could possibly help with correcting his issues... or maybe he will just be better suited there... if he does do better, he would do them more good where he is most effective... I have to believe it would be advantageous especially if there is nother pitcher to take a look at in the rotation
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

I dont think shifting him back into the pen would be a good idea for the Phils. The pen has been very solid for them and adding wouldnt help the team. There isnt exactly another starter take over for anyone right now. I havent heard much about Benson, but hes the next option when he proves he's ready to go. Until then he has to work through his troubles.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra