Thread: Flash Gordon says there's a 2009 for him

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Flash Gordon says there's a 2009 for him

The Nationals new home will mark the 45th different venue he's pitched at. The 40 year old has recently struggled as a member of the phillies, but once starter turned allstar closer turned allstar reliever turned goat turned title of a Stephen King novel is chiming in on 2009 and says he'll be around. Whether he'll be with the phillies, is a different question.

Gordon started with the Royals, in 1988. As a reliever/starter in 1989, he won 17 games for the royals. In one of those few instances, Gordon had a complete game and a save in the same season. Despite a losing record in a span of the following two seasons, he posted solid numbers in ERA, strikeouts, complete games and homeruns allowed. 92-95 would be up and down for Gordon, he moved on to Boston in 1996.

The Flash Gordon era in Boston wasn't so hot to start off, having a career worst 5.59 ERa at the time after 1996. In 1997, his troubles continued before he was moved to the pen, and then to closer. He finished the season with 6 wins, 2 complete games, and 11 saves. 1998 would be the year that Boston thought they found the answer at closer, Gordon would go on to post 46 saves (eat your heart out, Papelbon). 1999 would be the exact opposite, Gordon posted his currently worst ERA ever, 5.60, in only 17 innings. This would be his final year with the sox.

With the cubs, astros, white sox, and yankees, Gordon served primarily as the setup man, although he racked up 27 saves in 2001 for the cubbies. In his two very good seasons with the New York Yankees, it's likely to figure Joe Torre ripped his pitching arm off (see Paul Quantrill, Scott Proctor, Ramiro Mendoza).

In 2006, Flash returned as a closer with the Phillies, notching 34 saves in 39 chances. While his ERA was solid, every time he entered the game, it's likely to assume a phillie fan had a heart attack.

WASHINGTON -- Reliever Tom Gordon has always taken pride in his longevity, and he smiled on Tuesday when told that Nationals Park would become the 45th venue in which he's pitched -- if he is handed the ball during the Phillies' three-game series with the Nationals.

With a list that includes two parks each in Arlington (Texas), Baltimore, Chicago (White Sox), Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, San Diego, Seattle and Toronto -- and the Tokyo Dome in Japan -- Gordon hasn't missed many. Adding a second park in Washington, D.C., will complete the circle further.

"That's a lot," Gordon said. "These ballparks are amazing to see, and being able to see the new places and how the game has changed -- that keeps you going."

Gordon is far from being finished, and at 40, he feels he still has miles left in his right shoulder. With new parks opening in New York for both the Mets and the Yankees next season, and facilities in Minnesota and Florida in the planning stages, the veteran reliever could add to his list.

"I have to wear the uniform once in new Yankee Stadium, and I don't plan on wearing it as a coach," Gordon said.

Gordon said he would settle for Citi Field, the Mets' new ballpark, if the Phillies retain him for next season. Philadelphia holds a $4.5 million option for 2009 and must decide on it within 15 days after the World Series.

While Gordon's ERA stands at 4.50, the veteran has posted a 2.04 ERA since allowing five runs on Opening Day. Since then, he's allowed runs in only three of his 19 outings.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Flash Gordon says there's a 2009 for him

Methinks his time in this league is pretty much done.... if he were a lefty, he would maybe have a shot... as it stands, I really don't see him being any sort of effective pitcher as old man time lengthens old Gordon's shadow
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Flash Gordon says there's a 2009 for him

While Gordon's ERA stands at 4.50, the veteran has posted a 2.04 ERA since allowing five runs on Opening Day. Since then, he's allowed runs in only three of his 19 outings.

That seems to me like he has stuff left.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.