Thread: To the Rescue

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

To the Rescue

Things didn't look so hot for the lineup, what with Jimmy Rollins and Shane Victorino both out, leaving the table without being set for Utley, Burrell and Howard. Yet the phillies right now are looking exceptionally brilliant by giving Jayson Werth a contract. Werth was viewed as the 4th outfielder type, primarily a depth guy. He was promptly forced into starting duties and not only did he have to fill in at the top of the order, he had to be a source of energy that Rollins and Victorino routinely provide.

Werth seemed to be on a fast track, in 2004 he had 16 homeruns for the Los Angeles Dodgers. But injuries derailed him and he became irrelevant until the phillies picked him up in 2007. That season, he had 49 runs batted in less than 300 at bats. And he had a .400 plus obp.

This season, he's chipped in 5 homeruns in 23 games while adding a .370 obp and a OPS over .900. Also has three steals.

You won't mistake him for the more talented guys he's filling in for, but his production could easily limit Geoff Jenkins at bats, or even Shane Victorino's at bats. The 28 year old's resurgence could be credited to the fact that he has passed Kosuke Fukudome for most pitches seen per at bat (which is over 4 now). Perhaps while battling injuries, he relied more on his vision and patience to become a better major leaguer. This is a guy who waled less than 80 times and struck out over 200 times in a two season span. His brief duration with the phillies has seen a dramatic improvement. And perhaps his play helped keep the phillies afloat while they battled injuries.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: To the Rescue

Werth has definitely done enough to start over Jenkins.

MLB ERA

Re: To the Rescue

Werth is still actually performing well enough to have a starting job....

Hard to believe he was once a catching spect for my O's... yet I do not think I have ever seen him play a single game in the ML as a catcher
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.