Geoff Geary needs to change. He started yesterday by shaving his goatee. The Phillies righthander hopes the next change comes on the mound, where things have been rough.
"Honestly, I'm just as frustrated as everybody in Philadelphia," the reliever said before last night's game against Cleveland at Jacobs Field. "I can't pinpoint" the reason. . . . Mechanically, I'm probably off a little, and mentally, I'm trying to do more than I can."
Geary was 0-1 with a 1.50 ERA in his first 17 appearances this season. Opponents hit just .197 against him. He became manager Charlie Manuel's man to pitch in tight situations.
But in Geary's 15 appearances since May 11, he is 1-1 with a 9.64 ERA. Opponents have hit .355 against him.
"It's about being positive and battling through this trench I'm in," Geary said. "In the minor leagues, people say you're in the jungle, and I have to figure out how to get out of that jungle to be the best I can."
Pitching coach Rich Dubee said Geary's problem was pitching behind in the count and not attacking the strike zone. Geary, 30, said he had been watching film from his previous three seasons to find whatever was amiss.
"There's a fine line between the way I'm throwing now and the way I was throwing then," he said. "The way I was throwing then, I was more relaxed, calm, smooth. Now, I'm aggressive and I'm going to make this ball do something rather than just allow it to happen."
He said that although he accepted the fact that he was pitching poorly, "it doesn't mean I'm going to dig a hole and bury myself."

Extra bases

Rich Dubee said reliever Tom Gordon, who is rehabilitating a strained right rotator cuff, was a bit ahead of Brett Myers, who is rehabbing a strained right shoulder. The Phillies hope both can be back before July 1.
Phillies Notes | Geary's chin up, but goatee gone | Inquirer | 06/20/2007