Thread: I Can't Believe It!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I Can't Believe It!

The Phillies have decided to make Brett Myers into a setup man to make room for Jon Lieber in the rotation. He'll work in the seventh and eighth, as well as close when Tom Gordon is not available.
    Incredible. This is perhaps the biggest overreaction to a lousy start that we've ever witnessed. Myers earned the Opening Day start for the Phillies after back-to-back fine seasons and had a great spring. He was coming off back-to-back poor starts, but he had struck out 19 in 15 1/3 innings. Short of turning Ryan Howard into a shortstop and benching Jimmy Rollins, we can't think of anything else the Phillies could have done to better sabotage their chances for this year. Myers needs to be held on to in mixed leagues, as the Phillies might figure out in a couple of weeks just how bad of an idea this is.
    This is just a ridiculous move all around. It isn't like Lieber is doing that much better. Myers is a quality #2 guy in this rotation and he is going to be a set up guy? How about getting Howard and Utley going? What about trading to get a real reliever? It's pretty sad when your best reliever right now is the six-fingered freak Alfonseca. Bad move!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: I Can't Believe It!

Are you kidding me? This has got to be a joke, Myers is going to be a great starting pitcher...I don't know why they would ever do something like this. Lieber is really not that good anymore. Wow is all I can say.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

Makes me sad to be a Phillies fan every time I hear this...
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra

MLB ERA

I would be sad to be a Phillies fan all of the time.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I predict that Charlie Manuel will be the first manager to be ousted this year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel says that Tom Gordon is still the team's closer, but Brett Myers is in position to take over the role.
    "We're committed to [Gordon] until Brett becomes better or whatever, and we'll see from there," Manuel said. "Flash still has good stuff. The fact that he's been hit has more to do with his command than anything. At the same time, we have to get Myers out there in a save situation and see how things go." Myers should pick up a few saves in the next few weeks and could take over the job if he takes advantage of the opportunities.
    From starter to reliever and then closer in less than a month. Mofo is right, Manuel is a goner before the All Star break.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

It actually wasn't a bad move in my opinion, nobody in the bullpen could get anyone out. And would ya look at that good ole Gordon is hurt now and Mr. Brett is 2/2 in save opportunities

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

First off, welcome to the forums utley. We could certainly use some Phillies fans over here.

Secondly, it's good to see Myers has been successful but IMO he would still help the team much more in the long run as a starter than a closer.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    First off, welcome to the forums utley. We could certainly use some Phillies fans over here.

Secondly, it's good to see Myers has been successful but IMO he would still help the team much more in the long run as a starter than a closer.
    Similar situation with Papelbon in Boston begining of the year, except the opposite.