Phillies.mlb.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- Not that Freddy Garcia is complaining, but between the 2005 and '06 seasons, the former White Sox pitcher hardly had much time to rest.

He went 3-0 with a 2.14 ERA in the 2005 postseason in helping lead the White Sox to the World Series title over the Astros. On Oct. 26, his season came to a close when he earned the win in Game 4. Then, less than three months later, he began preparations for the World Baseball Classic, in which he would be one of the starters for the Venezuelan team. The right-hander went 1-0 in two starts and struck out 11 while walking two in 7 1/3 innings.

"It was an exciting time, but I was very, very tired," said Garcia, who made his second Spring Training appearance on Saturday.

Garcia began the '06 season in relatively strong fashion, winning seven of his first nine starts, but then went into a bit of a funk. He lost three of his next four starts while giving up at least five runs in 6 1/3 innings or less in each outing. The 30-year-old righty won his next three games, but then went a month and a half before picking up another win.

Garcia said his arm strength waned during this period and his velocity dropped considerably. While he was able to finish with a respectable 17-9 record and a 4.53 ERA, the White Sox still offered him up in a trade.

On Saturday, against the Devil Rays in St. Petersburg, Garcia looked rusty, but that can be forgiven, considering it is early in Spring Training. The two-fold effect of him pitching in the Classic last year is that he was game ready come spring and the regular season, despite the lack of rest. This season, he feels he is actually in a better position to begin the year.

Garcia gave up three runs on 28 pitches in the first inning on Saturday. But the four hits he surrendered in the first were all singles.

He breezed through the next two innings, allowing a one-out walk in the second and a one-out single in the third.

"I was able to use all my pitches and work on my slider," said Garcia, who tossed 59 pitches, 35 strikes. "I pretty happy with my velocity. Last year at this time, I didn't have the arm strength, but now my shoulder feels a lot stronger. The key is the rest."

Pitching coach Rich Dubee said that Garcia's pitches were a bit elevated, which is normal at this time of spring, as pitchers use the first part of the exhibition season to find their rhythm. The more important thing is that Garcia came away from the outing healthy and with no issues in his shoulder.

"He might have been up in the zone a bit, but that's a timing issue which can be corrected as he gets more pitches and finds the rhythm," said Dubee. "His arm's feeling good, which is a good thing. It's a process of getting out there, getting in games and getting behind the ball. But that will come with more outings."

Garcia will increase his output to 75 pitches in his next outing and then boost it to game-type production, which is typically between 90-110 pitches. Garcia has been durable in his career, totaling at least 200 innings in all but one of his eight full seasons.

"My velocity isn't 100 percent yet, but it will get there, no worries," said Garcia, who is competing for the Opening Day starter spot. "I threw too many high pitches, but I can get that down. I did from the first to the second inning. But I'm happy with the way I threw, and it can only get better."

B-ing Jon Lieber: Lieber had another impressive outing in his second appearance of the spring. The 6-foot-2 righty, who has had to deal with questions about his weight, started in a "B" game against the Astros in Kissimmee and reportedly looked sharp.

Lieber gave up five hits and one run in four innings, with one walk and two strikeouts. In his previous spring appearance, the 241-pound pitcher tossed two scoreless innings against the Reds on Monday.

Also in the "B" game, Greg Dobbs hit his third home run of the spring. Dobbs, who was picked up during the offseason on waivers from the Mariners, has been on a tear this spring. The 28-year-old California native now has 11 hits in 21 at-bats.

Dobbs is competing with left-handed-swinger Karim Garcia (who went 2-for-5) and right-handed-hitting Jayson Werth for a roster spot. Whomever doesn't start at catcher -- either Rod Barajas or Carlos Ruiz -- and third base -- either Wes Helms or Abraham Nunez -- will make up the other two spots, while Chris Coste seemingly has a reserve job to lose. This assumes the Phillies opt for 12 pitchers.

This and that: Non-roster invitee Brennan King went 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI in the 6-4 win over the Devil Rays to raise his spring average to .421 in 19 at-bats. ... Michael Bourn went 1-for-2 and scored two runs. ... Pat Burrell did not wear contacts during the game, in which he went 0-for-3 with one strikeout. ... Non-roster invitee catcher Jason Jaramillo hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning. ... Antonio Alfonseca pitched a scoreless inning, giving up one hit and striking out one.

Up next: The Phillies will host the defending American League champion Tigers on Sunday in a 1:05 p.m. ET contest at Bright House Networks Field in Clearwater, Fla. Jamie Moyer will make his third start of the spring.