Phillies.mlb.com

PHILADELPHIA -- The idea is to have fun, and so far, that's all it's been since the Phillies have formed their ballgirl team. Over 300 applicants applied in November, and 70 were interviewed. Over the next few months, the 14-player team the Phillies have selected will begin playing charity games.
The first games will not be scheduled until May, with a possible feature game against the Philadelphia 76ers dance team on Saturday, June 9 at FDR Park at noon ET, including some local media.

"The fact that it took so fast and how quickly people took to the program is what got me; it's been pretty much effortless, but that's a statement about the girls involved," said Michele DeVicaris, coordinator of Phillies events. "We've already held a number of events and they're great girls to work with, and we're obviously happy with who we chose. It was a long process and it's only been a few months working with them, but I'm very pleased."

The ballgirl team first appeared in public during the Phillies' holiday sale. DeVicaris has been getting two or three calls and four to five e-mails a day inquiring about the team's availability. The requests range from everything to grade school pep rallies to bowling tournaments to the opening day of Little League baseball tournaments.

What has impressed DeVicaris so far is how this group has come together.

"They've formed friendships, and that's obviously very important, because everyone needs to work together," DeVicaris said. "They all have great personalities and they love dealing with the fans. They all want to be there. Because they're all softball players, or have a background with the sport, it's good for them to be associated with the game again. On top of that, they're all Phillies fans, so it's two-fold for them."

Teresa Leyden, a four-year starting outfielder for the University of Pennsylvania softball team who was an All-Ivy League selection her freshman year, has been playing softball since she was eight years old. She'll be graduating in May with a B.S. in psychology and a minor in sociology. She has a day job lined up after graduation at Penn, as well as one with the Phillies.

"It's beyond looking forward to this," said Leyden, who is with her Penn softball team at the Quakers' Spring Training site in Kissimmee, Fla. "I'm looking forward to the charity games, and so looking forward to be a part of a Major League game and being down on the field as a ballgirl. I have a lot of juggling to do, which is something I haven't had to do so far."

As a member of the Phillies ballgirl team, Leyden, who is from Irvine, Calif., will stay connected to the game she's played most of her life.

"That's important," Leyden said. "It will be kind of sad leaving softball, since I've been playing since I was eight, but this will be a good way to ease my way out of leaving softball for good. A lot of my Penn teammates are happy about me being with the Phillies, and I've received great support here at Penn and from my coach [Leslie King], who's been absolutely perfect."

The excitement about this upcoming Phillies season has also stirred excitement for the new ballgirls who were working the baselines. Debbie Sulecki, a four-year starter at Widener University from Ridley Park, Pa., has sensed from friends and family that this Phillies season could be special -- and she'll be a part of it.

"There is a different vibe about the Phillies this year, and I'll have one of the best seats at Citizens Bank Park," Sulecki said. "Phillies games were always a very big part of my life growing up."

More importantly, Sulecki's involvement with the Phillies ballgirl team will extend her considerable involvement with charity work. She already volunteers for Habitat For Humanity and has been to charity affairs involving the Phillies ballgirls. The ballgirls were recently involved in a bowling marathon that raised $9,500 in two hours for breast cancer. It's what will make playing in the softball games that much more important.

"We're there for a reason; we're there for the best reason and that's to raise money while we're at it," Sulecki said. "After we raised that money for breast cancer, that made my night. I never really had someone close to me with breast cancer and this gave someone hope. I was just happy to be part of it."