PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Bobby Abreu isn't ready to ask out of Philadelphia, even though his former manager said the two-time All-Star told him he wouldn't mind going to another team.

"If they trade me, they trade me," Abreu said before the Phillies played the New York Yankees on Wednesday night. "I really don't pay attention much."

Abreu spoke earlier in the week to Yankees third base coach Larry Bowa, who managed the Phillies from 2001-04. Bowa said it seemed to him Abreu was ready for a change.

"I said, 'How's it going?' It looked like something was bugging him," Bowa said. "He said, 'Sometimes players look for a change of scenery.' I told him when I was here, I went to the Cubs. Sometimes change is good."

Abreu didn't recall his exact words during that conversation.

"I didn't say that. I mean ... I don't remember telling him," he said. "I saw him and talked to him for a long time."

Abreu has been the subject of trade rumors ever since general manager Pat Gillick replaced Ed Wade after last season. The Phillies, however, would need permission to deal Abreu because he has a no-trade clause in his hefty contract. Abreu is making $13.5 million this year and $15.5 million next season. He has a team option for $16 million with a $2 million buyout for 2008.

"Whatever happens is going to happen," Abreu said. "Sometimes you don't have the control. I have the control if they want to trade me, but I don't know if they want to trade me. That's why my mind is unclear about that."

Abreu entered Wednesday's game batting .291 with eight homers and 49 RBIs. His 70 walks and .452 on-base percentage led the majors.

But Abreu is sometimes vilified in Philadelphia. Though he won his first Gold Glove last season, Abreu's defense is heavily criticized, especially because it often appears he shies away from contact with the wall. Some critics say he takes too many pitches, particularly in clutch situations with runners on base. And, Abreu's preference to bat third when he'd be a perfect fit as a leadoff hitter makes him appear selfish.

"Last week I just made a couple mistakes in the outfield. Now, I'm no good," Abreu said. "(Fans) are always going to say things about me. They want you never to make a mistake. If you're human, you're going to make a mistake."

The left-handed hitting Abreu entered this season as a .303 career hitter and averaged 23 homers, 94 RBIs and 29 steals in his first eight seasons in Philadelphia. He's also durable, having played at least 150 games each season and has never been on the disabled list since coming to Philadelphia in 1998.

Abreu was one of the most underrated players in the league for years. But he made his first trip to the All-Star game in 2004 and thrust himself into the national spotlight with a tremendous power display in the Home Run Derby during All-Star week last season, hitting a record 41 homers.

He slumped terribly in the second half when the Phillies needed him during a playoff race and heard his name linked in several trade scenarios in the offseason.

Bowa said Abreu would be better off with another team.

"Sometimes the only way to get appreciation is to get out of dodge," Bowa said.

The Yankees often are mentioned as one of the teams that would be interested in acquiring Abreu because outfielders Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui are on the disabled list. But the Phillies would want pitching if they traded Abreu, making New York a bad fit.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns