PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) - Philadelphia Phillies righthander Brett Myers is taking some time off following an embarrassing arrest in Boston over the weekend.

Myers said on Tuesday that he asked the team for some time off to concentrate on rectifying the situation with his family. The team said Myers is expected to be out through the All Star break until July 14.

Arrested Friday morning for allegedly assaulting his wife, Myers was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on a domestic assault and battery charge. He was released on $200 bail that was posted by his wife.

"While I dispute the facts are as alleged, I recognize that my behavior was inappropriate and for that I apologize," Myers said. "I recognize that the incident created an embarrassing situation for many people, including my wife and family, my teammates, the Phillies organization, and fans and I am very sorry for that."

The Phillies started Myers as scheduled against the Red Sox on Saturday, a decision that drew criticism in Philadelphia. The Phillies are floundering, having lost five straight to fall 12 games behind the New York Mets in the National League East Division.

"My wife and children are very important to me and I am willing to do whatever is necessary to address any problems that might harm our marriage," Myers said. "I have asked the Phillies for some time off so that I can concentrate on this matter and make plans for whatever assistance is appropriate."
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns