Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Random A's Ramblings

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Komine back to AAA, Witasick off the DL and back from his AAA rehab stint.

see here

MLB ERA
    Halsey was sent to AAA after today's game...no one has been called up yet. I didn't watch the whole game, but I believe Witasick hurt his ankle again...not that he'll be a huge loss since he hasn't done well in the 5 games he's pitched lol...I just mean he may go back on the DL and that could fix the the problem of needing one more spot for Sauerbeck/Kennedy since there is only one spot right now for 2 guys.

MLB ERA
    Kennedy off the DL, Flores to AAA

Crosbert off the DL, Jimenez outrighted to AAA...he could refuse the assignment and become a FA or wait less than 2 weeks and come back 9/1.

MLB ERA
    Just saw on ESPNews Street is on the DL.

MLB ERA
    thanks Macha you prick

MLB ERA
    Flores was recalled...the dreaded closer by committee will be used for now

MLB ERA
    Crosbert back on the DL, Jimenez was called up again...

MLB ERA

Nice story on the Big Hurt

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...=tsn&type=lgns

Thomas' big stick is causing Big Hurt for A's foes

By Stan McNeal - SportingNews

Ask Frank Thomas which would be sweeter: for the Athletics to take out the White Sox in October or for the Athletics to reach the playoffs and the White Sox to be left out. All he'll give you is, "The possibilities have crossed my mind."

That's it. After 16 seasons with the White Sox followed by an acrimonious departure, Thomas says he's over Chicago. Perhaps he has learned that nothing can be gained by further ripping his former team. Perhaps he's sincere when he says, "It's worked out for both of us."

Thomas won't match the production the White Sox are receiving from Jim Thome, their new designated hitter, but he has given the A's what they specialize in: a bargain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last January, he signed a one-year contract -- $500,000 guaranteed and $2.6 million in incentives if he reached 550 plate appearances -- to show he had enough left to get to 500 career home runs. Going into the week, Thomas was up to 403 plate appearances and 474 career homers. He leads the Athletics with 27 home runs and 75 RBIs and has gotten stronger as the season has progressed.

Limited to 435 plate appearances in the past two seasons combined because of foot problems, Thomas, 38, went on the disabled list in June because of a strained quad. Since returning, he has been a fixture in the cleanup spot. Though he is not going from first to third on singles, he's running well enough that infielders are advised to stay clear of the 6-5, 270-pounder when he's chugging around the bases.

Athletics owner Lewis Wolff told reporters last week he is resigned to the departure of lefthander Barry Zito, the club's top free agent-to-be but wants Thomas to return.

Thomas, however, may already have priced himself out of Oakland. He almost certainly will if he stays healthy until season's end -- especially if the end comes in October, regardless of whether the White Sox are still playing.

MLB ERA
    Johnson, Flores, Brown, and Bocachica were called up from AAA.

MLB ERA
    see here

Street won't be back until Friday at the earliest now...

also:

Right-hander Rich Harden, trying to recover from a sprained ligament in his right elbow, threw briefly off the mound Sunday, splitting time between the front slope of the hill and the slab.

"I feel fine," Harden said. "I feel strong, my arm feels really strong.

"The test is mixing in offspeed pitches, and we're a little ways away from that."

The A's plan to have Harden take Monday off, then have him throw again from the mound on Tuesday, followed by another day or two of rest.
    he's got about a month to get ready for the playoffs (assuming we make it). The plan appears to be to have him relieve the last couple weeks of the season, build up his arm strength, and start him in the playoffs. Hopefully, it works out because that would be even bigger than the whole K-Rod thing...his arm will be fresh, hardly anyone has seen him this year, and when he's healthy he's one of the best pitchers in the league...I'm not banking on it, but it would make that WS look even more realistic IMHO.

MLB ERA
    Loaiza was named pitcher of the month for August btw...never thought I'd say that considering how he was before August.

MLB ERA
    Windsor was called up again.

MLB ERA
    IF Jimenez was called up from AAA and SP Jerome Williams was claimed on waivers from the Cu-hubs...IF Mike Rouse and MR Matt Roney were DFA to make room on the 40 man roster. Williams is a 24 year RHP...he's got time to turn it around.

MLB ERA
    From the A's site:

Light at the end of the tunnel: Right-hander Rich Harden reported no problems after throwing a simulated game on Monday and appears to be right on track with his rehabilitation, still eyeing a Sept. 15 return to the A's pitching staff. Harden's been out since June 6 with a strained elbow ligament in his throwing arm, and he missed time this season prior to that with the same injury.
    good news despite the inaccuracy of the last statement. He did not miss time with the same injury ever...never mind this season. The other injury this season was a strained back muscle

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    IF Jimenez was called up from AAA and SP Jerome Williams was claimed on waivers from the Cu-hubs...IF Mike Rouse and MR Matt Roney were DFA to make room on the 40 man roster. Williams is a 24 year RHP...he's got time to turn it around.
    I remember Williams when he played for the Giants and they were pretty high on him at the time.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast