Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Random A's Ramblings

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    no prob...more Zito garbage...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGL2JT3BS1.DTL

But he wasn't afraid to drop a few lines to reporters who came calling from other cities.

Padres: "I loved the Padres (growing up in San Diego). I loved Tony Gwynn and Andy Benes and Storm Davis. They were my guys."

White Sox: "It would be entertaining to play for (Ozzie) Guillen. It would be fun to be around a guy who can always keep you on your toes."

Pirates: "This is one of my five favorite ballparks. Who wouldn't want to pitch in a place like Pittsburgh?"

That last bit might have been over the top, but Zito is simply playing the game, like any good free agent-to be.

For the record, he doesn't expect to be traded before the July 31 deadline and isn't ruling out returning to the A's next year, saying owner Lewis Wolff is an "unbelievable guy. He comes to our games, comes into the clubhouse and jokes around with us. They're signing guys. So, yeah, that's definitely feasible."
    I wish he would just shutup about it...for all his "I'm focused on this year and winning with the A's" talk, he sure keeps answering these stupid questions and giving other team's illusions of raping us for him at the deadline

just shutup already

MLB ERA
    depressing article regarding Harden...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGL2JT3BQ1.DTL

Of the A's many injuries this season, Harden's have been the most unnerving because he is so young, so spectacularly talented and, apparently, so horribly jinxed. He started off last year like a Cy Young candidate, his right arm overpowering the American League, and then the craziness began.

"I still think about last season, what I could have done if I was healthy,'' Harden said. "That's the frustrating thing, what could have been, especially late in the season, my not being there for the team."

When his body didn't make it through April this year, Harden's spirits sank. He consoled himself by saying, in effect, "At least, there's nothing wrong with my pitching arm.'' Then he came back for one game, held Minnesota to one run in four innings, and discovered that his pitching arm hurt, right at the elbow, where pitchers often require surgery.

Harden has been repairing his ligament with a variety of treatments and a large dose of deprivation. He also gave up video games and playing the guitar because he worried that the repetitive stress might stall his recovery.
    Mr. Beane said he won't be back right after the break...looks like the beginning of August might be an optimistic estimate

MLB ERA
    the A's midterm report is up on their site...I only want to share this part:

• Closer Huston Street (strained pectoral) was unavailable for 12 games early in the year.

• Third baseman Eric Chavez (hamstring, forearms, shoulder) has missed several games at a time.

• Outfielder Mark Kotsay (back) has been forced out of the lineup for days at a time.

• Shortstop Bobby Crosby (lacerated finger, bruised knuckle) missed a couple of chunks of games.

• Outfielder Bobby Kielty (shoulder) has missed several games.

• Bradley was on the DL from April 27-June 6 with a strained oblique and a sprained knee, and he went back on the DL on June 15 with a strained shoulder.

• Harden was on the DL from April 27-June 4 with a strained oblique, and he went back on the DL on June 5 with a strained elbow ligament.

• Witasick was on the DL from April 14-June 6 with a sprained ankle, and he went back on the DL on June 20 with ankle tendinitis.

• Loaiza was on the DL from April 29-June 8 with a strained trapezius.

• Righty Justin Duchscherer was on the DL from May 7-June 23 with elbow tendinitis.

• Second baseman Mark Ellis was on the DL from May 31-June 30 with a broken thumb.

• Thomas was on the DL from June 15-June 30 with a strained quadriceps.

• Lefty Joe Kennedy has been on the DL since May 11 with shoulder tendinitis.

MLB ERA
    http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

And that will only raise the asking price for Zito. Despite Beane's perennial appetite for midseason deals, he's just as inclined to keep Zito, even if he knows there's no chance he'll re-sign the left-hander as a free agent this winter.

"I have no problem just taking the draft picks" as compensation from the team that ultimately signs Zito, Beane said.
    just like I said...

MLB ERA
    ugh

Outside counsel: Rich Harden, on the DL with a strained right elbow ligament since June 5, was scheduled to play catch Thursday as the start of his latest throwing program.

Instead he let the A's know -- through his agents at RMG Sports Management, who contacted the front office -- that he'd prefer not to throw until he can get another medical opinion on his ailing wing.

Rather than go to Baltimore with the A's after the Boston series ends Sunday, Harden will head for Los Angeles to be examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum on Monday.
    there's talk that he might be done for the year...might need surgery...all speculation of course, so we'll just have to wait for the official word.

MLB ERA
    I'm not holding out hope and I'm approaching this like we're going to have to do it without him.

MLB ERA
    It appears Jason Windsor will be called up from AAA today to start on Monday. They think Flores may be sent down...I wonder if they are bringing him up to truly see what he can do or if they want to showcase him....he's a combined 12 - 1 for the year.

MLB ERA
    Kotsay named player of the week

yes, it was a short 4-game week, but he still was awesome.

Kotsay batted .556 (10-18) with a .772 slugging percentage, three doubles, five RBI and 13 total bases during Oakland's four-game set at Fenway Park following the All-Star break. In Friday's game, Mark went 3-for-5 with two runs scored, two RBI and a stolen base. On Sunday, Kotsay went 4-for-5 with a run scored and three RBI.

Kotsay, the winner of the 1996 Golden Spikes Award as the nation's top amateur player after leading Cal State-Fullerton to the College World Series Championship, is currently batting .263 with six home runs and 35 RBI on the season. This is the first weekly award for Kotsay, who has been a Major Leaguer since 1997, and it is the first by an Oakland player this year.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    I'm not holding out hope and I'm approaching this like we're going to have to do it without him.
    well, he doesn't need surgery according to Yocum (and the A's orthopedist). He does need 2 more weeks of rest and can start throwing again August 1st. That means he wouldn't be ready to pitch until September 1st at the earliest. Better than nothing and that could be a very much needed jolt if we're still in it at that point. It would effectively be a huge waiver wire move. I'm still keeping my

MLB ERA
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PG5MK0PID1.DTL

Swisher payday soon?: Although nothing is imminent, the A's are working on a long-term extension for first baseman/outfielder Nick Swisher, and the total might end up being more than some of the other long-term deals young Oakland players have received.

Shortstop Bobby Crosby signed a five-year, $12.75 million deal last year, and Rich Harden got a four-year, $9 million deal (with a $7 million option). Swisher might benefit from the six-year, $23.45 million deal Grady Sizemore signed with the Indians this spring, a contract that could push Swisher's price past $13 million-$14 million for five years.
    good news I suppose...

MLB ERA
    http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4068860

Barry Zito, in yet another sign he won't be traded, has all his 15 remaining starts this year mapped out. ... Zito will get an extra day of rest three times, and start the second-to-last game of the season (his 35th start), and a deviation from the schedule would cost the A's ace a start.
    bring on the draft picks!

MLB ERA
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/15071763.htm

ESPN reported Monday night the A's might make a run at outfielder Alfonso Soriano, one of the big names available as the July 31 trade deadline nears. A person familiar with the A's situation said there's no truth to the report.
    Good, I don't want him...

MLB ERA
    http://www.examiner.com/a-184312~Is_..._Bradley_.html

Until Saturday, Bradley had been on his best behavior. Of course, it’s easy to behave when you’re on the disabled list, which is where Bradley has been for most of the year.

And then came Saturday in Boston. On Friday, he came off the disabled list and put on the kind of show Beane bargained for, going 4-for-5 and making a sensational catch. On Saturday, he snapped. After screaming at Red Sox blowhard Curt Schilling for drilling Nick Swisher, Bradley turned his attention toward the fans behind the visitor’s dugout. There was much shouting and finger-pointing, and the next time Bradley came off the field, he subtly saluted said fans by grabbing his crotch.

A’s manager Ken Macha didn’t play him the next day, offering the lame reasoning that Bradley had been on the bases so much Friday that he needed to give his legs a rest. The truth is that Macha didn’t want Bradley to have to deal with the Boston fans again.

So on the A’s moved to Baltimore, where the Orioles fans aren’t exactly known for being harsh. But they certainly got under Bradley’s skin, and Bradley gave them plenty of material with one of the weakest acts seen since the World Cup ended.

After stumbling while rounding first base on Wednesday, Bradley appeared to be injured, and badly. So pronounced was his limp that he that he didn’t even try to get back to the base, so the throw from the outfield to shortstop to first base got there in plenty of time for Bradley to be tagged out.

As he was being carried off the field, it looked like Bradley was headed for another stint on the DL. But no. There must have been some kind of medical magician in the dugout, because Bradley was back out on defense the next inning, even diving for a ball.
    wow, I'm kind of surprised at this article by Urban...he's really calling Bradley out and throwing him under the bus. I didn't really think he faked the injury at all. And this is the only article I read that is implying that. I'm no professional athlete obviously, but playing sports my whole life I've injured myself and it turned out not to be as bad as I thought or I played through it anyway. Clearly, Bradley twisted his ankle and didn't fake because the ball was still in the OF at the time...it's not like he got caught off the base with the ball in the infield and faked it...

I can understand the fans busting him about that situation and he shouldn't reply, but I don't agree with his assessment of the Boston situation. He was clearly enraged at Schilling's act of cowardice and Red Sox fans can be some of the most ignorant and annoying people from my experiences (not on the board) so I have to give him a pass on that situation. Also, Urban fails to mention or realize that Ethier was expendable with Travis Buck in the system who projects to be better anyway, but is the same kind of player.

MLB ERA
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGQDK39HK1.DTL

"Crosby is still learning,'' former A's shortstop Miguel Tejada said. "He's only been in the league two years. Look how long it took me and (Eric Chavez) to get where we did. You have to let him play and hit .220, like they did with me. This kid is going to be great, he's going to be the leader of the team.''
    Tejada makes a huge point IMHO...

MLB ERA
    http://insidebayarea.com/athletics/ci_4078216

In the ultimate sign of the roots he's planted in the East Bay, Haren bought a house in Walnut Creek, becoming the only current A's player who will live year-around in the area.

"It just made sense," said Haren, who starts the opener of a three-game series tonight in Detroit. "Originally, I thought Arizona, like everybody does. But I thought if I got a house in the Bay Area, I could live in it for 10 months, as opposed to living in an Arizona home for six months. That was the deciding factor for me."

Haren made the decision shortly after signing a four-year contract last September. While a trade is always possible, Haren has the financial security to afford the house, and the odds are strong he'll remain with the A's until the contract ends after the 2009 season.

"If I wouldn't have signed that contract, I wouldn't have bought a house here," Haren said. "I'd have looked in the Arizona area, something more cost-effective. Knowing I would be in Oakland for at least four more years made it easier. It's nice, especially during the season, to live in my own home. In the off-season, there's no move or getting settled.
    Nice, I hope he stays around for a long time

also:

Kirk Saarloos shot a course-record 65 (34-31) on Thursday at Tanglewood Golf Course in South Lyon, Mich., with a large group of A's players, coaches and team officials.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast