Thread: Yet another Zito "rumor"

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yet another Zito "rumor"

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/13961492.htm

Zito Watch

As the Oakland A's opened camp, general manager Billy Beanedid not sound optimistic about retaining ace lefty and free-agent-to-beBarry Zito.

"When his contract ends at the end of the year, he'll be one of the most attractive free agents on the market," Beane told the Contra Costa Times. "It would be a challenge under the circumstances for anybody to sign [him], let alone the A's."

The A's have let it be known they would not trade him unless they were blown away by an offer. They are likely to hang on to him and make a run this season. If their chances are dim in July, he could be moved then.

The Phillies have monitored Zito's availability for months, but sources say the A's are looking for multiples of young talent in return (Brett Myers and Madson) and the Phils aren't willing to pay that price.
    I'd love to keep Zito, but I'd be happy with Myers and Madson

I don't think Zito will be traded. The A's will either make the playoffs or be in it until the end and Zito will be there. He'll either walk or be signed. But, I'd love for Beane to absolutely rape a team like the Phillies

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

PHOENIX — The Angels wouldn't have to pitch Barry Zito on the virtues of playing in Southern California. The Oakland Athletic star lives in West Hollywood, and he is eligible for free agency this fall, when the Angels could remake their starting rotation.

"It's hard for me to think about anything but Oakland right now," Zito said. "At some point in my career, I could definitely see myself playing in the L.A. area."

Zito, 27, is two years younger than Kelvim Escobar and Jeff Weaver, who also can file for free agency this fall. The Angels do not have a left-hander in their rotation. Zito, the 2002 American League Cy Young Award winner, has started the most games of any major leaguer over the last five years and has never been on the disabled list.

Zito, a USC product whose family resides in the Southland, said he hopes to stay with the A's but would not discuss a new contract during the season. Oakland owner Lew Wolff said he has "an open mind" about retaining Zito and hopes the pitcher can work out a new deal with General Manager Billy Beane.
    I think I'd kill someone if he left and then signed with the Angels. If he's gonna leave, I'd prefer if he went to the NL.