Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 A's Spring Training Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    oh yea, I forgot to mention that Milton Bradley homered in his first AB against Calero...a 3 run bomb to center.

MLB ERA
    http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=oak

Haren gets lit up in the 1st ST game. A's lose 8 - 7 to the Cu-hubs. Ellis hit a grand slam, Crosby a 2 run homer, and Kielty a solo blast...all in the 5th inning.

MLB ERA
    Harden got food poisoning that sidelined him for 2 days. He lost 8 pounds, which negated the weight he had put on (from lifting and such) during the off-season.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ugh, that sucks.

MLB ERA
    this is what he said:

Back on track -- sort of: Righty Rich Harden, slowed by food poisoning the previous two days, was back to his smiley self on Friday, but he wasn't pleased about having lost weight while sidelined.

"I lost eight pounds in two days," he said. "It [stinks], because I worked my [tail] off putting weight on during the offseason, and I had finally got myself up to 196 [pounds] before this happened. Now I'm back to 188 and have to start building myself up all over again."

Harden, who had offseason surgery on his left shoulder, held up well during a bullpen session on Friday and will throw in a simulated game within the next few days. If that goes well, Harden likely will make his Cactus League debut sometime next week.

"I can't wait to get out there," Harden said. "I'm running out of things to do to kill time."
    He'll be able to add most of that back I'm sure since it's really water weight he lost from being ill...not from sitting around and not being physically active.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    was back to his smiley self on Friday

MLB ERA
    A's lost against the Brew Crew 9 - 7, but got their first win against the South African team 13 - 1. woo hoo

MLB ERA
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/13997593.htm

Every team has questions. As good as the A's appear this spring, the health of Eric Chavez and Bobby Crosby, who are both nursing sore shoulders, is a major concern.

Newcomers Milton Bradley and Frank Thomas have been controversial and galvanizing figures in the past. How they fit into the clubhouse and affect team chemistry bears watching.

How manager Ken Macha will keep four outfielders deserving of playing time happy remains to be seen.

The biggest question, however, revolves around the four second-year players: Street, Joe Blanton, Nick Swisher and Dan Johnson. Their ability to make second-year adjustments will have a major impact on the lineup, rotation and bullpen.
    The article then goes on to talk about what each of them accomplished last year and what they plan on working on this year. I hope we don't end up with any more Ben Grieves...

MLB ERA
    Meyer throws pain free...

PHOENIX -- It mattered not to A's lefty Dan Meyer that his two shutout innings Saturday came against a team of young, inexperienced and overmatched South Africans.

All that mattered to Meyer, who injured his throwing shoulder last spring and struggled at Triple-A Sacramento for much of 2005, is that he threw free, easy and hard.

Standing at his locker in the clubhouse at Phoenix Municipal Stadium, his shoulder wrapped in ice, Meyer was a picture of relief after his first Cactus League appearance of the spring.

"It was refreshing," he said with a smile. "I felt great. That's the best I've felt in about a year now."
    Hopefully, he'll have a good year and pick up where he left off before the injury. If Zito leaves at the end of the year, then he he could become the #5...we'd have a rotation of Harden, Loaiza, Haren, Blanton, Meyer.

Come on, the South African crew had one player, a Royals prospect, in Major or Minor League ball. If the A's didn't beat them, they should be ashamed.

*flash forward to 12 hours from now*
    So, the Red Sox lost to Australia 14-3...okay...maybe that is a little more impressive.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    I watched a Red Sux game for awhile on NESN yesterday and there was NOBODY on the field that I recognized. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........boring.

MLB ERA
    you get NESN in Cali? you must have satellite...

MLB ERA

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    you get NESN in Cali? you must have satellite...
    Directv premium package- I get EVERYTHING and they get all my money. I order the NFL and MLB packages every year.

I'll never go back to cable.

MLB ERA
    I don't have cable. I don't watch much TV. I'll order MLB.tv to watch the A's games. NESN is garbage though...it's owned by the Red Sox I'm pretty sure and it's all Red Sox biased to the Nth degree.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast