Thread: This Season Already a HUGE Success

MLB ERA

This Season Already a HUGE Success

I debated whether or not to start a new thread but I felt this to be worthy. No matter what happens from this point forward, this season has already been a huge success for this team especially when you consider the offseason moves and injuries. We were what about 15 games under .500 at one point? For this team to turn it around and make yet another playoff run is nothing short of amazing. We have battled through some VERY tough injuries and guys just keep stepping up. That and to be honest this team is at least one to one and a half years ahead of schedule. I love the fact that we keep the pressure one the high payroll teams such as the Yankees and Angels. I've already eaten my crow regarding Billy Beane and I'll keep my mouth shut regarding Macha for now. In addition I love our new owner and I think he's going to spend some money this offseason. Maybe not a lot, but I do believe he'll open the wallet if he thinks it will put us over the top. This guy wants a ring- BAD. He's always at the games cheering along with the rest of the fans; I dig that.

Nice job Lew, Billy and Ken. Hold onto your seats boys because this team DOES have one more hot streak left in them this season.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    no doubt ADH, see my post in the "where will the A's finish" poll...This team was built to challenge next year and really clean house in 2007. This year we're ahead of schedule as you stated, which is odd due to the large amount of injuries (Dotel, Durazo, Harden, Crosby, Kielty, Kotsay, and whoever else I'm forgetting). Dotel and Durazo opened holes for rookies (Street and Johnson) to succeed, but they weren't expected to. Crosby has hurt as SS is a vital position and it was his 2nd year to develop, so he's going to be a little behind in his development going into next year. Harden is the biggest concern as this could be a long-term / recurring injury like Hudson, which would totally blow.

Then there's Zito...I hope we keep him and sign him as he's never missed a start and he's leftie. Rumor has it Haren is very close to signing a long-term deal, so that would give us Harden, Blanton, and Haren...but they're all right-handed. It's probably not a big deal, but to me it's better to have a rotation with at least one solid leftie. Anywho, like I said I hope we keep Zito, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if Beane traded him in the off-season as Zito really proved himself and increased his stock this season. Beane may want to clean someone out for him. Whether we keep him or trade him, I won't be surprised.

The problem is Zito is going to make some big money (he's signed through 2007 I believe), which we may have with new ownership, but we also don't really have any top pitching prospects and Beane may trade Zito for those reasons. Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to Barton developing and seeing what happens with Herrera...I expect Barton to start off at AAA next year and maybe stay there most of the year as he will only be 20 at the start of the year and turn 21 during the season. I imagine Herrera will be at AA and is further away...probably finishing at AAA as he'll only be 21 and spent this whole year at low class A Kane County.

MLB ERA
    As happy as I am with this season overall, somebody needs to tell the Oakland A's that the MLB season runs from APRIL THRU SEPTEMBER and not just June thru August.

Ah well, let's finish the season strong. Providence, do you think we should bring Payton back or is he already under contract?

MLB ERA
    I can't find any info about salaries and contracts right at the moment, but IIRC he's either under contract for 1 more year or there is a team option...something like that. Unless we sign a free agent, there's no OF at AAA to replace him really...unless they give to Charles Thomas again or if he proves himself

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why trade Zito? He has done very well and has anchored that inexperienced rotation and was a huge reason for the A's success. Signing Haren to a four year deal was good news for the A's. This young team will have the experience nextyear to compete all year. Crosby going down really hurt this team so hopefully next year he will stay healthy. Too much talent on this team not to succeed.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Why trade Zito?
    The same can be said for "why trade both Hudson and Mulder?" I didn't say I want to trade him...just that it wouldn't surprise me either way. So far the Hudson deal hasn't helped us with Cruz and Thomas not helping at the Major League level and Meyer being injured for most of this year. The Mulder trade has worked with Haren doing well after not so well at first, Calero being a dependable arm out of the pen, and Barton finishing a solid year at A and AA.

Barton's stats

He hit over .315 for the year with an OBP around .420 for the year. He slugged about .480 for the year for an OPS of approximately .900.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by A'sDiehard
    As happy as I am with this season overall, somebody needs to tell the Oakland A's that the MLB season runs from APRIL THRU SEPTEMBER and not just June thru August.
    LOL, gotta cut them so slack. A lot of our young players aren't used to the grind that is the MLB season.

MLB ERA
    Look at the last 4 years here...look at the records and run scored / runs given up...it just goes to show that the runs need to be spread out as this year we score only 28 runs less than the 2002 team, but ended up with 15 more losses and the runs against was only 4 runs more...somehow 28 less runs scored and 4 runs more given up equals 15 less wins???...that's crazy.

Code:
    YEAR W L RS RA 
    2005 88 74 772 658 
    2004 91 71 793 742 
    2003 96 66 768 643 
    2002 103 59 800 654