Thread: Giambi coughs up cash for Washington

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

3B coach Ron Washington's house lost due to hurricane

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...01.DTL&type=as

Third-base coach Ron Washington had thought his New Orleans neighborhood might be spared some of the worst flood damage from Hurricane Katrina. But on Wednesday, he learned from a friend at FEMA who had seen a satellite image of the area that his house is at least 15 feet deep in water. Washington reckons it's a total loss.

"We're going to have to tear it down and rebuild," Washington said.

He's not even certain that he and his wife, Gerry, will want to stay in New Orleans, considering how long it will take to regain some normalcy there, but Washington was born in the city and he loves it. He can't imagine living elsewhere. Baton Rouge, La., is a possibility for the short-term, he said.

Washington has been so worried about the hurricane and its aftermath that he has been unable to sleep the past few nights. His extended family is safe, however; Gerry Washington is in Alabama trying to find housing for all 16 of them for two months or more.

Washington was prepared to return to New Orleans for a week, but it's apparent that the problems are so severe that there will be nothing he can do until the offseason, anyway.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Poor Wash. At least he can afford to rebuild. Can't say the same for a lot of the victims of this tragedy.

MLB ERA
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2151772

• The Oakland Athletics and former A's first baseman Jason Giambi have started up a collection for third-base coach Ron Washington, who lost his own house and his mother's in the hurricane, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Giambi gave $20,000 and the A's players had collected $9,000 with more expected for Washington, who was in search of housing for 16 relatives who evacuated New Orleans for Alabama, the paper said.

"That was very nice," Washington said of the players' support. "Now, instead of looking at one apartment, we can get a couple. That was awesome. It's been a long time since I dropped tears, I never expected anything like this."

Washington said he told Giambi his contribution was too much, but Giambi insisted.

"That's the way Jason is," Washington told the paper. "He's a class act."

Washington is to travel to Alabama on Tuesday to help his family, according to the paper, and return to the team in Texas on Friday.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Giambi coughs up cash for Washington

Posted on Mon, Sep. 05, 2005

Giambi among players to help Washington recover

By Joe Roderick
    Knight Ridder

Before Saturday's game, A's coach Brad Fischer approached fellow coach Ron Washington and handed him an envelope given to him by the New York Yankees' Jason Giambi.

Inside the envelope was a check made out to Washington for $20,000. The money was given to help Washington and his relatives who suffered heavy losses in Hurricane Katrina.

``That's what a class act he is,'' said Washington of the former A's star whom he tutored in Oakland's farm system. ``Brad handed me the envelope and said, `You're not going to believe this.' That's the kind of heart he has. Even when he was here he was like that. I can't find the words to thank him.''

Giambi said Washington ``couldn't stop crying. He almost got me going. He's an incredible man. He was pretty shocked.''

A's players have collected $12,000 for Washington.

``I'm fine now,'' said Washington, whose own house and the one he purchased for his mother in New Orleans were destroyed by the hurricane. ``I had a little money stored away for a rainy day, but it would have depleted me. What this does is give me the opportunity to help my family.''

Washington is trying to find housing for 16 relatives, including his wife, Gerry, who fled New Orleans for Alabama last week. He said they're ready to move into temporary housing in Alabama.

``They're going to return to, more or less, normal living,'' Washington said.

Although Washington suffered heavy losses, his heart goes out to his fellow New Orleans residents.

``Any future contributions should not be given to me,'' he said. ``They should go to charities to help others. There are people there who have it way worse than me. My houses are under water, but the insurance will pay for that.''
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    This goes here, but you're too late! hahahaha

MLB ERA
    Well, I looked for a post on that topic but didn't find one.....
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    3B coach Ron Washington's house lost due to hurricane
    that seems pretty close, no? it's no big deal...I appreciate the posting in the A's forum so I'm not just talking to myself all the time...it's not as much fun as one might think.

MLB ERA
    oh, and that's Jumbo Giambi to you!

MLB ERA
    Trust me.....I know all about talking to myself in the Angels forum. If it weren't for you I'd be stone cold bored to death.

And shouldn't it be Gumbo Jumbo Giambi? Just in honor or those in the South right now......