Thread: Where do I direct my hate? (Eckersley / Oakland / Boston quandary)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Frustrated Where do I direct my hate? (Eckersley / Oakland / Boston quandary)

As many of you know Friday the Red Sox celebrated the 100th anniversary of the 1st game ever at Fenway Park. They had invited anyone who ever wore a Red Sox uniform to a pre-game ceremony. Dennis Eckersley has been working for the TV station for a while (NESN). During the post game show they (NESN guy, Peter Gammons, Jim Rice, and Dennis Eckersley) were talking about some of the former players and what it means to have worn a Red Sox uniform for even a day...

Eckersley talks about how he came up with Cleveland and then played in Boston. Peter Gammons then says something to the effect of "Dennis, you made your HoF career in Oakland basically. How does that compare to your time in Boston." And Eckersley says something like "Are you kidding me? They couldn't care less about me in Oakland." and then some shit about how awesome Boston is or something. I forgot to be honest because the first part of his statement really pissed me off.

Was he saying the organization doesn't care about him? They retired his number and made a day of that IIRC.

Was he saying the city/fans of Oakland don't care? I'm pretty sure he was a fan favorite. What would make him say that?

Was he just saying it to play to the pro-Red Sox sentiment and because he works for them now?

I really don't get it. He was one of my favorites as a kid and to hear him say something like bothered me.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Where do I direct my hate? (Eckersley / Oakland / Boston quandary)

It must be like how Bill Walton identifies himself as a Celtic even though he spent the majority of his career with the Blazers and Clippers. Ditto Rodney Harrison as a Patriot (and not a Charger).
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 04-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.