Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Nnnnooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lmfao

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    It's ok Prov. The Yankees just signed a guy who on-based a point lower than Vlad Guerrero's batting average last season to be our regular DH. So it's not just your team.
    Except he won't be your regular DH

MLB ERA

He on-based .289. 1 game is too much. A-Rod and Jeter won't DH as much as everyone says they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Manny may not even make the team.

https://twitter.com/#!/pgammo/status/171757633135587328

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gammons
    A's having nothing to lose w/Manny. Non-guaranteed, can be released anytime, pro-rated deal comes to $306,000

MLB ERA

Based on what makes you think he won't make the team, your such a pesamist when it comes to your own team.

MLB ERA

Nope. If the players that don't have to serve a 50-game suspension get the job done, then they can just cut Manny. How is that being pessimistic? I believe it's called being optimistic. I'm optimistic that the young guys who aren't suspended can do enough to keep him away. That's my hope. I don't like Manny, never have and never will, and I don't want him on my team.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 02-22-2012 at 01:44 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    He on-based .289. 1 game is too much. A-Rod and Jeter won't DH as much as everyone says they will.
    I was more talking about Jones facing lefties and Ibanez facing righties. It will be a platoon effort.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Good to see Manny has to earn a spot.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Nope. If the players that don't have to serve a 50-game suspension get the job done, then they can just cut Manny. How is that being pessimistic? I believe it's called being optimistic. I'm optimistic that the young guys who aren't suspended can do enough to keep him away. That's my hope. I don't like Manny, never have and never will, and I don't want him on my team.
    You are being a pessimist. What guarantee do you have that the Cuban defector will pan out? Last time I checked, Manny is more proven than someone who has yet to take an AB in the Majors. And it's not like you guys are coughing up 10-20 million on a guy, its only 500k, what do you have to lose? And your such a hypocrite, you can hate on Manny for his antics, but your willing to defend Babe Ruth. Yeah that makes sense.

MLB ERA

Manny and Cespedes are not in competition with each other. Cespedes may even start in the minors while Manny is suspended. Manny, if he even makes the team, would be a part-time DH. Cespedes will be CF or RF. They have nothing to do with each other. I don't like Manny for more than his antics and I don't want him on the A's. I didn't realize that I had to justify that to you. If you like Manny so much, then call the Giants and tell them to trade for him...or you can just sign him after the A's cut him.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That's the first time I've seen Provie being called a pessimist. Usually, he's defending every move Billy Beane makes. He'd go, "Who cares that it was Beane who signed Esteban Loaiza to $21.4 million for 3 years? He found someone in Ned Colletti who was dumb enough to take on the remaining backloaded one-and-a-half year!" or remind you that Carlos Gonzalez is worthless outside of Coors Field. I'll give him that at least he's been consistent with his dislike of Manny.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Manny and Cespedes are not in competition with each other. Cespedes may even start in the minors while Manny is suspended. Manny, if he even makes the team, would be a part-time DH. Cespedes will be CF or RF. They have nothing to do with each other. I don't like Manny for more than his antics and I don't want him on the A's. I didn't realize that I had to justify that to you. If you like Manny so much, then call the Giants and tell them to trade for him...or you can just sign him after the A's cut him.
    So you would rather be okay with a guy making 8-9 million a year who had yet to take AB in the Majors, be down in the minors than a proven HOF veteran making 500k on your team, yeah that makes allot of sense. I never said I like Manny, but I won't get butt hurt and throw a hissy fit aboutIt. Yeah give me Sabean's number, I'm sure he will listen me, smart guy.

MLB ERA

Just because somebody is a proven hall of famer doesn't mean they would be useful this year.

Would you want the Giants to sign Willie McCovey and start him this year?

Extreme example, of course, but the point is Manny is well past his prime and simply having a resume from his prime years doesn't mean he'll be better than Cepedes, or even Seth Smith for that matter. Did you see how horrible he was for the Rays? And that was before he missed an entire season of baseball or grew yet another year older.

And regarding Cepedes....true, he's never played at the major league level but he still commanded 9 mil per year for a reason. Would you invest 9 million dollars per year into a player and keep him in the minors? Sure, he may or may not need to start there but the guy will get an opportunity.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see how Prov is being anything but reasonable.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Just because somebody is a proven hall of famer doesn't mean they would be useful this year.

Would you want the Giants to sign Willie McCovey and start him this year?

Extreme example, of course, but the point is Manny is well past his prime and simply having a resume from his prime years doesn't mean he'll be better than Cepedes, or even Seth Smith for that matter. Did you see how horrible he was for the Rays? And that was before he missed an entire season of baseball or grew yet another year older.

And regarding Cepedes....true, he's never played at the major league level but he still commanded 9 mil per year for a reason. Would you invest 9 million dollars per year into a player and keep him in the minors? Sure, he may or may not need to start there but the guy will get an opportunity.
    Yeah great comparison, McCovey who's like 70+ to Manny who's 40.

Manny played a handful of games, no need to judge him by that, if he had played a whole season and sucked, yeah that would have been different, but the fact is he didn't.

So what if he's making 9 mill, that's the A's problem for paying someone who's unproven, it happens in all sports, my point is A's are getting a bargain for Manny, versus Cepedes. And yet Prov is being reasonable, yeah that makes sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast