Thread: 2011/2012 Pointless A's Off-Season Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Thumbs Down 2011/2012 Pointless A's Off-Season Thread

Bye bye free agents. no offers were made. The team is in limbo while waiting for a decision on the stadium, which is going to happen "soon"...read "some day"

Speculation is that if they're shot down with SJ, they'll spend to make the team more attractive and look to sell the team. If they're allowed SJ, they'll trade/build to have a competitive team for when the stadium opens.

Let us all wait while Bud and his blue ribbon committee drag their feet longer than they said they would. Yay! Pointless off-season threads for the win.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2011/2012 Pointless A's Off-Season Thread

Brett Anderson played catch Monday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery in July.
    Anderson made about 20 throws from a distance of 45 feet without pain. "It felt kinda weird, like how it would be if you were walking again or riding your bike again for the first time in forever," said Anderson. "But after about 10 throws, I felt pretty good, and I realize it's just one other thing I have to do in this process." The 23-year-old southpaw has targeted next July for his return to a major-league mound.
    July is not a bad target for the Anderson. Let's hope he has no setbacks.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Chili Davis was named hitting coach. I always liked Chili and hope he does a good job. He said his biggest project will be Jemile Weeks.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Athletics signed OF Brandon Moss to a minor league contract.
    Moss, 28, batted .275/.368/.509 with 23 home runs and an .877 OPS in 506 plate appearances this season at the Triple-A level and went 0-for-6 with the Phillies as a September call-up. The A's have some uncertainty in their outfield right now, so this could be a opportune landing spot the former top prospect.
    A good spot for Moss to be right now.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Are they making it a goal to collect all four of the busts the Pirates received in the Manny Ramirez/Jason Bay three-team deal?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

With the Tuesday trade of Sergio Santos from the Chicago White Sox to the Toronto Blue Jays, not only did Andrew Bailey's trade market shrink -- the Jays were among the clubs rumored to have interest -- but the haul the Sox received may be far short of what Oakland Athletics GM Billy Beane may be willing to accept in return.

Santos and Bailey are very similar commodities. Both under club control through at least 2014 and at a very reasonable salary. Santos' three option years and cleaner track record with injury may even give him the edge.
    Beane and the A's front office is said to be seeking a young outfielder in return for their pitching trade bait, and perhaps Bailey can still bring back such a player. Every trade is unique and clubs value players differently.
    We'll have to wait and see if the Santos trade hurt the A's chances to get what they really want for Bailey, and it's worth reiterating that the A's don't have to trade the right-hander if they don't get the offer they want.
    The Santos deal could also have an impact on the trade values of Huston Street and Brandon League, as well as the free agency of Ryan Madson, Francisco Cordero and Francisco Rodriguez.
    Closer carousel.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Athletics have reached an agreement with free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes.
    It's a major league deal, and we assume it's for one year. Gomes is probably best suited as a designated hitter, which is where he could get a good chunk of at-bats in Oakland, but he sports a nifty .281/.375/.501 career batting line against left-handed pitchers. He's also been lauded as a good clubhouse guy.
    Maybe someone to split with Seth Smith. Not bad.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Meh. Wake me up in 2015.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Should be about the time for the next fire sale, right?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Gomes deal is worth $1.1 million.

Rookie ERA

Glad Jonny Gomes got a job, should be happy to be close to home.