Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice Summary Article Regarding Stadium Situation

MLB ERA

Re: Nice Summary Article Regarding Stadium Situation

The Padres not being based in Chula Vista was kind of the point.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Now we're back in Oaktown at an old shipping terminal. If the city can prove that this will be a good location with good revenue, it may "solve" the whole territorial dispute, although Mr. Wolff doesn't seem too keen on the location:

A's stadium search returns to Oakland waterfront - San Jose Mercury News

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What a joke.

Previewing the potential September MLB madness to come - ESPN

For about the 78th consecutive meeting of baseball's problem-solving owners, there was no resolution this week of the A's-Giants standoff. But if it wasn't clear before now, it's more obvious than ever that, in the words of one baseball official, that moving the A's to San Jose is, most likely, "never going to happen."
    And

So if the A's aren't bound for San Jose, what is likely to happen to them? Behind the scenes, baseball people are predicting they'll eventually have to give up on this battle and settle for a new, Pittsburgh-size park in Oakland -- and then do their best to beat up on the Giants in interleague play.
    Not happening. Ownership has stated many times after the city faltered that Oakland isn't happening.

There is a lot of good info here if anyone wants to read more.

newballpark.org / new A's ballpark

I like this part lol:

Bringing us back to Stark’s blurb, what can Wolff do? He seems content to play the nice guy role among the owners and not push the matter. If the Giants are lined up looking to sue, the A’s can do the same. San Jose is putting together its own legal resources should a decision come down not in their favor. But there is one maneuver, one trump card that Wolff can play that we’ve only skirted around, and it’s fairly simple.

Wolff could refuse to negotiate a Coliseum lease extension.

Fitting that this last bit of “inaction” could finally force action. It worked for the Minnesota Vikings. It most certainly won’t get the kind of results Zygi Wilf got (a publicly financed stadium), but it would at least force the powers that be to act. It would absolutely burn the last bridge Wolff had with Oakland and would be the worst PR move ever on top of many other missteps, but as we’ve seen in the Vikings’ case, it’s practically standard operating procedure for owners looking to get new stadia. Oakland pols have bragged that the A’s have nowhere to play besides the Coliseum. Do they really want to make that bluff?

MLB ERA

Anyone have the ESPN insider thing? Can you tell me exactly what was said in Olney's column regarding the stadium. MLBtraderumors posted a little.

Commissioner Bud Selig is quietly gathering club votes to help the Athletics as they attempt to move to San Jose. Once they have enough support, MLB will be in a better position to push the Giants to make a deal for their territorial rights.
    This seems to go against what has been said before.

MLB ERA

Bud Selig still working on Bay Area territorial rights - ESPN

Bud's still working on it. Be patient guys! It's only been over 3 years since the "blue ribbon committee" was created. That's not enough time to make a decision. They need to sleep on it.

MLB ERA

Now San Jose may sue the Giants for loss of revenue.

Purdy: Will San Jose sue the San Francisco Giants to allow the Oakland A's to move south? - San Jose Mercury News

"The concern that seems to be broadly discussed is about litigation on behalf of the San Francisco Giants," Liccardo said the other day at his City Hall office. "But the San Francisco Giants should become concerned about the threat of a lawsuit by the city of San Jose."

Seriously? Yes, seriously. Liccardo says the Giants are not just standing in the way of San Jose's downtown reaching its full potential, they are costing the city real money.

"We have an independent economic analysis," Liccardo
    said. "And it documents that the fiscal benefit of a downtown San Jose ballpark -- and this is in conservative terms, with just the property taxes generated and the money that would go to public schools and to the county -- exceeds $30 million over 30 years. And any antitrust suit that the city might bring could mean treble damages."

In other words, if the Giants lost the lawsuit that Liccardo wants to file, the team could be liable for $90 million or more.
    It will be very interesting to see what comes of this. I think by "treble damages" the writer means triple damages...hence the $90 mil.

MLB ERA

That PoS Selig better make a decision before his contract is up in 17 months and he retires.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I wonder if loosing the Warriors will have any effect on this?

MLB ERA

Selig owes the A's after the bullshit from last night. Seriously, I'm getting really tired of MLB fucking the A's over. Just contract them like you wanted to already so I can move on with my life and be done with baseball.

Rookie ERA

Oakland Athletics reach 10-year lease deal to stay at Coliseum - ESPN

Is this good or bad for the A's and their fans, kind of hard to tell. I'm leaning towards, bad, I think the A's are getting hosed in this whole situation.

Of course, the city still has to approve, supposedly that is coming later today. Selig is pleased naturally, he is under the delusion something substantial has been accomplished before he leaves office.

I am sure Prov is at wits end on this thing, come on let it out! One positive note doesn't look like contraction is on the table at the moment.

AAA ERA

As an outsider, I'd rather see the A's move to Portland. But I understand why the A's fans would vehemently disagree with that.
    One-Time TBL Champ
    Baltimore Orioles (2018)

Three-Time S3SL Champ
    Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals

2012 B/S Keeper League Champ - Boston Terror

supposedly they have an out too if the Raiders get something done, so this my not be the end of it. I'd prefer both teams move to Portland.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA

City won't vote on it supposedly. Boycotted.

Oakland officials boycott vote on A's 10-year coliseum lease - SFGate

Rookie ERA

Guess they are a bunch of douche nozzles. You know that works very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12