Thread: A's 1B Chris Carter wins MiLBY for overall minor league hitter of the year

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

A's A's 1B Chris Carter wins MiLBY for overall minor league hitter of the year

A's Carter pays immediate dividends | oaklandathletics.com: News

In 2009, he not only managed to reach that bar but he exceeded it. And in doing so, he picked up the MiLBY for Overall Minor League Hitter of the Year.

Spending most of the season at Double-A Midland, Carter raised his average nearly 80 points, hitting .337 with 24 homers and 101 RBIs in 125 games. His .576 slugging percentage, 67 extra-base hits, 41 doubles and 108 runs scored led the Texas League.

Carter also earned the A's Player of the Year honor for the second year in a row and nabbed Texas League MVP laurels as well.

Adding in his numbers from a brief Triple-A debut at Sacramento at season's end, Carter's final stat line reads .329, 28 homers and 115 RBIs in 138 games. He led the Minors with 179 hits, tied for the Minor League lead in total bases (310), ranked second in RBIs and extra-base hits and finished third in runs scored.
    He did this all at the age of 22 last season. He should start the year at AAA and be up in Oakland at some point. Personally, I wouldn't call him up until September. Give him all of 2010 at the AAA level and see what he can do. The A's also want to try him out in LF supposedly. There is no need to rush him. Give him the time to continue to develop I say.

MLB ERA

Re: A's 1B Chris Carter wins MiLBY for overall minor league hitter of the year

It goes without saying, but I can't wait until this guy makes his MLB debut for the A's. They've need a hitter like him for a long time now. Carter along with Taylor could be a special duo for the A's.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Wow, normally I am up on minor league ball. I love looking at prospects and dreaming about their eventual callup. But this guy came out of nowhere for me. Granted, I have been kind of baseball absent of late, but this comes as a pleasant surprise. Chalk another name up for me and call me a fan. These numbers are nice!

Hopefully this guy will be able to see AAA for a while before he sees the bigtime. I want to see the A's put something in their lineup.
    Posted via Mobile Device

MLB ERA

From the same article:

There he earned the organization's 2008 Minor League Player of the Year honor after hitting .259 with 39 homers (second in the Minors), 104 RBIs, 101 runs scored and a .569 slugging percentage.
    2008 was great, too...but he really improved his numbers (especially the average and his discipline). I want to see him put up similar numbers at AAA for a season before throwing him out there. I hope the A's are patient with him.