Thread: Scouting Report of Brett Wallace at 3B

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

A's Scouting Report of Brett Wallace at 3B

Here is a nice scouting report on Brett Wallace's defense at 3B.

Brett Wallace defense scouting report | Project Prospect

Conclusion

If there's a way that Brett Wallace can stick at third base, Brett Wallace will make it happen.

It's very unlikely that he'll be a career third baseman in the big leagues, but he wouldn't be a liability at the position if the A's called him up today. I could see him spending a couple seasons at the hot corner, provided that the A's are willing to take a bit of a defensive hit. Expect him to spend the bulk of his career at first base or designated hitter.
    That seems to pretty much be the consensus. We'll see what happens, but hopefully he can improve and stick...or at least give the A's a few years there.

There's a video at the end of the article. His throwing motion looks like he's short-arming the ball. Perhaps it was just because he was focusing on fielding the ball and lolly-popping the ball over there. I don't know.

MLB ERA

Re: Scouting Report of Brett Wallace at 3B

The problem with his defense isn't that he isn't smooth or that his hands or arm are the problem. He has ZERO range. The scouts call it "fall-down" range.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Scouting Report of Brett Wallace at 3B

Well, he'll be falling down for the A's at 3B for a couple seasons I'm sure. Chavez is cooked and there are no other real options. Kennedy is not a 3B. Barton has tried 3B in the minors before and wasn't very good. They can't keep Wallace at AAA for too long next season. I know he's young and was draft last season, but they'll give him a shot because he can hit. They need hitters.