Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2009 Season News

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: 2009 Season News

Brett Anderson lost a perfect game in the 7th inning (2 outs). He finished with 8 shutout innings. He's pitched really well lately.

Anderson almost perfect, but A's fall | oaklandathletics.com: News

The lefty, who has a 21-inning shutout streak going, is 2-0 with a 0.34 ERA (one earned run in 26 1/3 innings) over his past four starts. Opponents are hitting .124 during that stretch.
    Bailey gave up a solo homer to Abreu. It was his first run allowed in over 15 innings (since June 10th). He pitched 2 innings and had 3 strikeouts.

I blame the offense. It's been pathetic for what seems like years now.

MLB ERA

MLB trade: St. Louis Cardinaks, Oakland Athletics talking Matt Holliday trade - ESPN

According to Buster Olney, the Cardinals are somewhat seriously considering trading top prospect Brett Wallace to the A's for Matt Holliday. Seems a bit risky for the Cardinals to me, seeing as how Holliday is having a down year, is a rental player, and if I'm not mistaken has Boras as an agent, and is therefore unlikely to give them a break negotiating an extension. One scout said the likelihood of this deal happening is "50/50".

On the A's side, they're getting a HIGHLY touted prospect, instead of receiving 2 draft picks(I think Holliday is a type A as of now, right?). However, Wallace has already proven something in the minors, as opposed to draft picks, which makes him slightly less of a risk I guess. Thoughts?

MLB ERA

I've heard Wallace won't stick at 3B and may move to 1B so I'm not so sure I'd want him in that case. I don't put much stock in all these rumors until something actually happens.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 07-24-2009 at 09:44 AM.

MLB ERA

Per Rotoworld

Sources have informed SI.com's Jon Heyman that Cardinals manager Tony La Russa "badly" wants A's outfielder Matt Holliday.

This rumor is picking up steam and credibility pretty quickly. La Russa was also pushing for the Cardinals to acquire Holliday last season, and it's hard to blame him. The manager is acutely aware that his club needs a bat behind Albert Pujols. But giving up top prospect Brett Wallace seems misguided.
    Well, Holliday would certainly be helpful to the Cardinals, help them become more of a powerhouse. However, the question is if he'd resign, because trading a top prospect who's hitting as well as Wallace is for 2 months of Holliday could be really risky. The A's would probably be pretty lucky to get Wallace for Holliday, considering, even though they'd get 2 draft picks, there's no lock that they'd be better than Wallace. Not only that, but they'd have to offer arby to Holliday, and if perchance he accepts it, the A's could be on the hook for like 15 million...

MLB ERA

BTW, I meant Wallace might not stick at 3B and move to 1B...I typed 3B instead of 1B at the end there.

MLB ERA

The Cardinals are close to acquiring Matt Holliday from the Cardinals for Brett Wallace and two other players, according to ESPN.com's Tim Kurkjian. Outfielder Shane Peterson and righty Clayton Mortensen are also headed to Oakland if the deal goes through.
    It's unclear who would pay Holliday the remaining $6MM on his contract should the teams complete a trade.
    You might wanna start believing Prov. That's from mlbtraderumors.com.

MLB ERA

ESPN says it's a done deal now.

well, it seems like we got a lot for him. I guess I have to be happy about that. I just hope they can improve Wallace's D at 3B because we are in desperate need of a future 3B.

MLB ERA

apparently, Beane wanted to pick Wallace last year. We drafted Weeks right before the Cardinals took Wallace. Now we have both. I hope they can improve his defense. If not, then I guess he's going to be a DH/1B. It seems like he's a Youk type player and Beane has always coveted Youk so I can see why he would want Wallace.

I hope they trade/cut more old, useless guys that I didn't want them to sign in the first place (Cabrera, Giambi, Nomar, etc). Let the young guys take their lumps. We need to see if Barton can turn it around. We need to see if Patterson can help at all (he's destroyed AAA this year). We need to see if Buck and/or Cunningham can help. They need regular playing time to do this.

MLB ERA

The A's signed 4th round pick C Max Stassi for $1.5 mil. He is a 1st round talent that people were afraid to pick because he was 50/50 on going to UCLA (he already had a 4-year ride in the bag). Awesome signing. He's one of, if not, the top catchers that were available in the draft.

It appears that 1st round pick (13th overall) SS Grant Green will go to the wire. He is a Boras client so no real surprise there. I hope we get it done though.

MLB ERA

and here is the link:

A's reportedly sign catcher Stassi | oaklandathletics.com: News

he was the 30th ranked prospect overall heading into the draft (fell to 123rd due to the concerns about whether or not he would sign).

MLB ERA

The A's got Green and 7th round pick LHP Krol. They signed their first 8 picks and 15 of their first 18.

A's sign two key picks before deadline | oaklandathletics.com: News

MLB ERA

Duke is out for the year with clinical depression. I believe he got divorced sometime in the last year and has been battling for custody of his child. I don't know, not really any of my business. I hope he gets better. Perhaps he'll sign a cheap 1-year deal with the A's because of this; we didn't get anything out of him this year. Then again, perhaps we won't make an offer.

oh, and the A's won a game tonight. :celebrategoodtimesc'mon:

MLB ERA

Cahill was fantastic tonight with 7 shutout innings against the Angels (2 walks, 2 hits, and 2 k's). Ryan Sweeney missed the cycle by a double. Barton had 2 hits. Bailey got his 19th save. We're only 19.5 games back now! woo hoo!

MLB ERA

Don't look now, but the A's have matched their season high winning streak at 7 games after today's win. They're 12 - 2 in their last 14 games and are only 7 games below .500 (+2 run differential on the season now).

MLB ERA

and after a great run through most of September, the A's finish w/ a whimper (AKA a 7-game losing streak) to finish in last place at 75 - 87.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123