Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Season News

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 2009 Season News

Are you serious? I swear if this keeps up at this pace, we'll be starting the season with half our team on the DL!

Also... I think Duke is having his surgery tomorrow in SoCal by Dr. Lewis Yocum to remove "extra bodies" in his elbow... *crosses fingers* Let's hope it's successful!!!

MLB ERA

The "problem" may have been averted. Joey Devine has an appointment with Dr. Andrews in Alabama:
    From Yahoo Sports --
    "A lot of interesting fantasy news floating on the wires, let's sort through it: Joey Devine (elbow) is headed to Alabama to meet with Dr. James Andrews, and we all know what that means. The Oakland closing situation cleans up nicely with this news; Brad Ziegler now has the ninth inning essentially to himself, with Santiago Casilla the second in command."
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Braden has officially been named the opening day starter and Gallagher isn't even in the rotation! The rotation is:

Dallas Braden
    Trevor Cahill
    Dave Eveland
    Brett Anderson
    Josh Outman

I don't know about this. Cahill and Anderson haven't even pitched in AAA! Look what happened to Barton when they called him up too early; he struggled. I would much rather them be in AAA and get some seasoning. How the hell do Braden and Outman make the rotation and not Gallagher? Are you kidding me? Gallagher isn't a stud, but he's more talented than both of those chumps.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its going to be a rough year for the starters but I am excited to get to see Anderson and Cahill pitch. Gallagher at least brings experience to the rotation so it is shocking he's not one of them. Didn;t he have a bad spring though?

MLB ERA

Josh Outman

The A's certainly valued upside in naming Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson to the rotation, but they're taking the ball away from their most talented pitcher with major league experience by picking Outman over Sean Gallagher. It's not like the alternatives outpitched Gallagher. Outman, Gallagher, Dana Eveland and Dallas Braden all have ERAs between 5.06 and 5.40, while Cahill is at 4.95. It probably won't really matter, since Gallagher figures to be in the rotation by the end of April anyway, but Oakland's decision making definitely deserves to be questioned here. Outman's walks will likely prevent him from being very useful in AL-only leagues.
    so they all performed similarly.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Braden has officially been named the opening day starter and Gallagher isn't even in the rotation! The rotation is:

Dallas Braden
    Trevor Cahill
    Dave Eveland
    Brett Anderson
    Josh Outman

I don't know about this. Cahill and Anderson haven't even pitched in AAA! Look what happened to Barton when they called him up too early; he struggled. I would much rather them be in AAA and get some seasoning. How the hell do Braden and Outman make the rotation and not Gallagher? Are you kidding me? Gallagher isn't a stud, but he's more talented than both of those chumps.
    Four lefties and one righty (Cahill). Ouch. Outman is starting the home opener. Wonder what kind of reaction he'll get from that.

Geren said in an article in today's paper (CCC Times) that the only reason he didn't choose Gallager was because he (Geren) felt that he (Gallager) didn't attack the zone enough and that his pitches weren't "crisp" enough... not exactly following his train of thought but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

MLB ERA

Roster decision easy as ABC | oaklandathletics.com: News

final roster moves:

Barton, Pennington, Gonzalez, Hannahan, and Denorfia to AAA.

Bailey makes the team with Gallagher getting the long relief role.

Duke and Copeland to the 15-day DL. Devine to the 60-day DL, which isn't a good sign.

Chavez starting at 3B on opening night, just like I told you LTR.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A's outfield prospect Aaron Cunningham could be out for a long period of time after separating his shoulder in a collision at home plate Sunday.
    It may take a few days to see how his shoulder responds before even a loose timetable can be set. Cunningham, who turns 23 on April 24, was 4-for-12 with three doubles and four RBI in three games for Triple-A Sacramento. He was placed on the minor league disabled list.
    Sucks for the promising prospect as this definitely will slow his development. Hopefully nothing was torn and that he has a speedy recovery.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Joey Devine had surgery on the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow Tuesday and is expected to miss the remainder of the season.
    Specific details of the surgery have yet to be provided, but it appears to be safe to cut Devine loose in AL-only leagues. With Devine definitively out of the picture for 2009, Brad Ziegler has a solid chance to remain Oakland's closer all season.
    Didn't know it was this serious. That's why you get so many arms for the bullpen because you just never know.

MLB ERA

damn, the A's sure are sucking big time so far. only the Nationals have less wins! and both are the only 2 teams that don't have double digit wins yet.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    damn, the A's sure are sucking big time so far. only the Nationals have less wins! and both are the only 2 teams that don't have double digit wins yet.
    dear god, I knew we were bad, just not that bad. yikes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Adam Kennedy went 4-for-4 with two doubles and two RBIs. He has 26 hits in his first 15 games with the A's, the best 15-game start for a newly acquired player in Oakland history. Mario Guerrero had 24 hits over his first 15 games in 1978. "I'm just trying to fit in, have good at-bats and play hard," said Kennedy, who started the season in Triple-A with Tampa Bay after hitting .280 in 115 games for St. Louis last year. He's hitting .441 since his arrival in Oakland.
    Moneyball

MLB ERA

it looks like the A's signed some nice international prospects.

A's sign three Venezuelan prospects | oaklandathletics.com: News

The club announced Thursday that it has agreed to terms with three 16-year-old prospects from Venezuela: shortstop Wilfredo Jesus Solano, third baseman Wilman Jose "Junior" Martinez and outfielder Alfredo Alejandro Sosa.
    and here's what they said about each:

"He's (Solano) almost as advanced as they come for a 16-year-old at this stage," Forst said. "We really liked his bat from both sides. He'll develop power down the road, and he projects to stay at shortstop, which is what made him really attractive to us."
    "Martinez has a lot of power -- that's the first thing [director of player personnel] Billy Owens said about him," Forst said. "He also has soft hands and an above-average arm at third. ... He's what you hope for from a corner-infield prospect."
    "He's (Sosa) the most toolsy of the three," Forst said. "He has a good arm and runs well. He's really impressed us with his athleticism."
    certainly guys to keep an eye on in the future.

MLB ERA

the A's actually won a game today 5 - 2. Gio pitched well. He's replaced Outman who is out for a long time because he needs TJ surgery. He may be lost for next year.

CL Andrew Bailey is the lone All-Star for the A's. He got his 9th save today. He's 4 - 1 with 9 saves, a 2.03 ERA, a 1.01 WHIP, 19 walks, 30 hits, and 57 k's in 48 2/3 innings. Not bad for a guy that was in AA last year.

MLB ERA

Duchscherer is still scheduled to begin a rehab assignment at the end of the month. I guess that means he'd be back in early August barring any setbacks. Too bad it doesn't really matter at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast