Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

News 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

I should have done this a while ago. oh well.

-2B Ellis signed a 2-year deal with an option for a 3rd year
    -MR Embree had his option declined
    -MR Foulke, OF Brown, and DH Thomas filed for FA and will not be back
    -SP/MR Dan Meyer was claimed on waivers by the Marlins
    -CL Street, OF Gonzalez, and SP Smith were traded to COL for LF Holliday
    -MR Schroder was signed to a major league contract from WAS

A's still pursuing Furcal

The A's continue to pursue shortstop Rafael Furcal, in part because Furcal is not a ranked free agent after missing most of the season following back surgery, so he will not cost draft picks to sign. Though the A's have been leery about health issues after using the disabled list 47 times in the past two years, the team has seen Furcal's medical reports and has been assured that he has fully recovered.
    Wolff also said that he prefers to keep Holliday and take the 2 draft picks rather than trade him during the season.

MLB ERA

Re: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

Has Rafael Furcal played his last game with the Dodgers? | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times

The free agent shortstop told El Caribe that he would return from his native Dominican Republic to the United States on Monday to sign a contract –- and judging by what he said, it sounds like he could be joining the Oakland Athletics.

Furcal revealed that he has been offered a four-year, $48-million contract by the A’s that includes incentives that could push its value to more than $50 million.

Furcal said he has also received a substantial offer from the New York Mets, who want him as a second baseman.

“The offers made by the Athletics and the Mets of New York are tempting, but we’ll make a decision after I meet with my lawyer because there are various factors that we have to evaluate,” he said. “But my general feeling is that every offer that’s been made is important, which is why we want to make a decision that’s well thought out.”
    We'll see I suppose. He got the 4 years that he wanted, but is it enough for him to sign with the A's? I hope so. Then we can trade Crosby to dump his salary of over $5 mil.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I sure don't want my Giants giving him another huge deal like that. Furcal's last deal was a mess.

MLB ERA

that rumored offer is less money annually than the one he got when he signed with the Dodgers. We've got the money. SS and a lead-off hitter have been a huge need for the A's.

Assuming the A's can move Crosby, they'll have moved a decent amount off money even with adding Holliday and Furcal if it happens. Crosby makes over $5 mil and Street makes over $3 mil. I'm pretty sure Embree's option was for over $1 mil...I want to say it was $3 mil, but I don't feel like looking. The other guys that left save a few hundred thousand each.

Furcal is the best SS available and I'd rather see the A's pay him than sign Renteria or be stuck with Crosby.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Furcal only had one good year out of the three he was signed for on his last contract. That was more of what I was talking about.

MLB ERA

he played well last year despite the injury. Obviously, that's a smaller sample size, but I think he'll be fine if he's healthy. He'll be better than what we have. We don't have anybody in our system that could come up and have an immediate impact at SS.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to his medical records, his back is fully healed which is good. Here's more on the A's pursuit.
    According to the San Francisco Chronicle, a "well-placed A's source" said that a report out of the Dominican Republic that Rafael Furcal has been offered a four-year, $48 million contract is "untrue."
    However, the newspaper notes that "untrue" may simply mean that the deal being offered isn't exactly $48 million and adds that "there's no doubt the A's are making a strong push for Furcal."

MLB ERA

yea, who knows...Furcal could be saying that to drive up the price anyway. we'll have to wait and see. if he's healthy, then I hope we can sign him and then dump Crosby. He would fill a need at SS and in the lead-off spot as I already said. Hopefully, he signs soon as some reports have said he might.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah LTR I saw that... what'd he do, meet up with some of the A's people and check out the ballpark and stuff? Eh, something like that. I agree with Prov, I'd much prefer Furcal to Crosby. We'd have a legit leadoff hitter, something we haven't had since almost back to Henderson. I'm just a little confused by Beane's motives right now. Hopefully it'll all pan out...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lunch, tour of homes, tour of the park, the works. Beane will start negotiations tomorrow with Furcal and his agent. Look like Furcal could be an A and Renteria right across the Bay.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A's "have requested and received the medical records of" Nick Johnson.
    Johnson is an on-base machine and has no doubt long been on general manager Billy Beane's radar, but is coming off wrist surgery and has just 147 plate appearances over the past two seasons. His status for Opening Day is uncertain, but Rosenthal speculates that the A's "could pursue him as an alternative to Daric Barton at first base."
    Why wouldn't Beane just re-sign Mike Sweeney? He is injury prone too and the A's wouldn't have to trade anyone.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No I don't want Johnson. Like you said, it's basically the same as resigning Sweeney. I don't really see why he's interested in him.

About Furcal... it looks like the A's are one of the finalists (including the Giants), even though we haven't made any official offers yet. Should be an interesting next few days...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to reports, Johnson's medical request came early in the offseason.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Really? Where the hell was I?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast