Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas A's? San Jose A's? Athletic A's?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

A's Las Vegas A's? San Jose A's? Athletic A's?

Wolff: 'Intent wasn't to insult Oakland' | oaklandathletics.com: News

Wolff was in Phoenix, where the A's are in Spring Training, and said he wants to take a break from discussing and considering new ballpark sites. But the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that A's officials, as well as Commissioner Bud Selig, met on Sunday with Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman.

Wolff said that no one from the A's was in Vegas, and an MLB spokesman said Selig was flying from Arizona to Milwaukee on Monday, according to the Chronicle.
    I said they could end up in Vegas a long time ago.

They're not staying on Oakland.

They're not going to Fremont.

They could go to San Jose, but that could be tough with the Giants even though Selig and Wolff are buddies and he could easily force the issue.

Sacramento is a possibility, but I haven't heard much about them outside of fan speculation.

I can't see them going to Portland.

Virgina would require some sort of realignment because they couldn't stay in the West.

Vegas has always wanted a team. I think the only hurdle there really is the whole gambling thing, but I'm sure MLB would do what they needed to if they thought that was the best option. They'd stay in the West as well. Regardless, the whole Fremont BS set a new stadium back 1-2 years I'd say. We're probably looking at 2012 at the absolute earliest.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Las Vegas A's?

I thought Selig already said no to a San Jose move? If Vegas can support a team more so than than Oakland then I say go for it.

MLB ERA

He's publicly stated that he won't let them, but they haven't pushed him. Wolff and Selig were fraternity brothers so there always the chance that if the A's pushed it and it was the best option, Selig would bend. Who knows for sure. It may never get to that point, but Wolff has business ties there and they own the San Jose Quakes so it's pretty well known that he wants to go there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Is the only thing holding them back from going to Vegas is the gambling issue?
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I do not know if that's the only issue, but I really do not see the A's in Vegas. It makes sense on a lot of levels that Prov mentioned, but does baseball really want another black eye, especially since we still talk about the 1919 Black Sox? I don't think something on that level could happen again, and of course it could happen in other cities without gaming, but it would be a risk (even if minor) that I don't know if the MLB could take.

The only way I see it happening is that if every other option has been exhausted and that is the only choice outside of moving the A's to a team in the East and going through a pretty big division restructure (which I would bet the latter being about a 1% chance.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Look at Pete Rose and his *not* betting on baseball. MLB didn't even know that Rose *did* this until it was already *done*. Any situation could possibly be risky.

And in your other scenario mission, essentially you're stating that the Oakland A's will be the Oakland A's for a while, lol.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think I worded it a bit confusingly. I was just stating that I believe the A's will only be the Las Vegas A's if San Jose/Portland/etc are not viable and the only two options left (outside of staying in Oakland of course) are Las Vegas and a move to the East, then it would be Las Vegas.

MLB ERA

From what I've read Portland isn't likely to happen. They've been having troubles getting MLS there never mind MLB.

I think San Jose is his first choice, but I'm not sure how that will play out. They could flip Sacramento and Oakland I suppose (A's to Sacramento, AAA River Cats to Oakland...or even somewhere else). Raley Field in Sacramento was built to be expanded. Screw it, just come to Providence. Sure RI sucks, has one the highest unemployment rates, is almost $400 mil in deficit, etc....but I'm here (for now). Oh wait, then they'd be with the Yanks and Sox...move to the NL? lol

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That is an interesting idea and one that seems to make a good bit of sense. Oakland would still have a team to root for, one that would bring in money to the local economy and would have a better chance of being supported for what it is... and San Jose would get their team.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    That is an interesting idea and one that seems to make a good bit of sense. Oakland would still have a team to root for, one that would bring in money to the local economy and would have a better chance of being supported for what it is... and San Jose would get their team.
    you mean flipping Sacramento and Oakland? If so, how does San Jose get their team? Territorially, The Giants already are their team.

I know San Jose has put the idea of trying to get the A's on the city meeting (whatever the exact name is) agenda for April 7th.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I meant Sacramento, my bad (its been a long day.)

MLB ERA

no problem...just wanted to make sure I was reading it right lol.

MLB ERA

Re: Las Vegas A's? San Jose A's? Athletic A's?

here you go Reef...

Wolff prefers A's move to San Jose | oaklandathletics.com: News

"We are really saying that we'd love to stay in Northern California, and go to San Jose," Wolff said to a small group of reporters, including those from the San Francisco Chronicle and Oakland Tribune, at the San Francisco Fairmont, of which he is a part-owner.

"If [the Giants'] position is this is something they want to defend, they will -- but we have to appeal to baseball," Wolff said, as reported by the Chronicle. "We will be asking for direction from Major League Baseball."
    This is where that fraternity handshake will come in handy. If this is what the A's want, then MLB will make it happen regardless of the Giants.

MLB ERA

Mayor wants MLB to drop Giants' territorial rights to San Jose - Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal:

Mayor Chuck Reed of San Jose is recommending his city should urge Major League Baseball to drop the San Francisco Giants' territorial rights to Santa Clara County.

In a memo to San Jose City Council members released Friday, the mayor outlined his plans to lay the groundwork for attracting the A's.

One of Reed's recommendations is that he should send a letter to Major League Baseball "indicating that San Jose supports MLB in the City and requests to be freed of restrictive territorial rights."

His other recommendations for action are:

* Building support with neighborhoods, business, and labor.

* Analyzing opportunities and challenges of developing a stadium at the Park Avenue and Montgomery/Autumn site.

* Regular updates by staff to the City’s Community and Economic Development Committee.
    It's nice to see that someone really wants the A's.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12059265

Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors are calling on Major League Baseball to allow the Oakland Athletics to move to Santa Clara County.
    The county itself is getting into the act.

It looks like a major push will be made and I can't see the Giants stopping it. The owners would probably end up having a vote and if it's what is best for the A's/baseball, the Giants will be forced to give it up.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There is going to be a new scooer stadium built for the MLS team in San Jose, so I can imagine that there may be some wiggle room there for a mash up or something.
    New Earthquakes Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also of note, Portland got their MLS team, and they are playing in PGE Park, the AAA teams stadium that will get redone, and the baseball team will get a new field to play in,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast