Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A's Steal Giambi!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: A's Steal Giambi!

No, I don't. I can go by the market value of Giambi's production and tell its already a steal. Tino Martinez in 2004 made more than Giambi coming off a less productive year and that's in 2004!! We're talking about a first baseman, not a SS. Even if he hits 20 HRs and 80 RBI, he is still making less than guys hitting just like him.

MLB ERA

Reefer you are 100% correct.

If Giambi broke his arm day 1 and didn't play the whole season, the contract itself was a steal that turned out badly. But the fact that he was worth more than 5 mil and signed for 5 mil makes it a steal.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

his contract won't hurt us regardless of whether he does well or not. it's a bargain deal. I won't argue that. I just didn't want him back.

And CJ, yes most SPs are RHP, but if you have a stacked left-handed lineup, the bullpen can kill you late. Your estimates are hilarious BTW. Let's say 85% of the games are started by RHP as you said...there's no way in hell we (or anyone) will win 75% of those 85% of 162 = 137.7 so we'll round down to 137. 75% of 137 = 102.75. I highly doubt the A's win 102 games period...never mind against only RHPs lol. Your major isn't accounting, is it?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giambi will make $4 million in '09. Still want to say it wasn't a steal? Compare that to Luis Castillo and you will have your answer. Great job by Beane to find a power bat for so ****ing cheap.

MLB ERA

He's a roider who should be banned from the game, and all his cheating removed from the record book.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

A few years too late on that one Saber.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    You can't always go off past performance and estimate it will continue. That's not always the case. if you do that you're going to get hosed
    Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    I'm saying at this point, yes, it's a steal. But with an old fart like Giambi who hits for low average and high power, that power can go away in a hurry, and all you're left with is a skeleton of a guy with a good eye, which is useless. It can happen in a flash, ask Andruw Jones. So my point is you have to wait and see whether this one is REALLY a steal
    If you don't go off past performance, you have nothing. When a guy puts up 30+ HR one year, it doesn't just go away. Power typically slides away, it's batting average that can have huge drops from year to year. Great signing for Oakland.

Andruw Jones lost his power because he lost the ability to make contact. He gained too much weight, not enough of it muscle, and lost his bat speed, not his physical power.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123