Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

Why else is Beane signing Giambi on a one year deal and trading for Holliday for one year? To win now!! No other reason for it! Trading for one year of Holliday and getting Giambi is not building for the future. Why pay Crosby $5 million to ride the pine? Because he sucks. Cabrera is head and shoulders above Crosby. Crosby is the one that sucks the big one, not Cabrera.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cabrera sucks just like Crosby. I don't see the point in paying $10 mil and a draft pick for one of them to play and one to sit. I'd rather them go with a minor league guy than sign Cabrera. Even if Holliday leaves, we'll get 2 picks and that helps build for the future as well. You can do both at the same time (build and compete). And yes, they'll compete, but they won't get out of the first round even if they make the playoffs.

As Beane has stated himself, they improved the offense to help build the confidence of the young pitchers. Those are his words. Not hey, we're trying to win it all with these moves. He knows they'll be better and maybe get to the playoffs. Anything after that is extra. He's expecting the years after that to be their real shot. This year is taking a step in that direction.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm very well aware you can rebuild and compete at the same time as the Giants are doing the same this year. But if I am building my team for a win now mode as the A's are doing, I would want a good SS and not some waste of a lineup spot. Like you said, Holliday will bring in two picks so why not give up one for Cabrera? Its still a net gain of one draft pick plus winning ballgames will bring in more money. Getting in the playoffs brings in even more money. Cabrera is so far ahead of Crosby its ridiculous and its not breaking the bank. Compare Cabrera's numbers to Crosby's, its staggering! To say they can't get past the first round is silly. Anything can happen in October. Signing Cabrera for one year is not hurting the future and the A's would be wise to do so. A's need a SS and a leadoff hitter. Cabrera provides both. It beats the alternative of having a below average SS.

MLB ERA

leading off with his career .322 OBP? no thanks. IMHO, he's not worth it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

White Sox found success with him leading off. Plus his OBP has gotten better over the past couple of years. Again, beats the alternative.....to a pulp.

MLB ERA

he's going to be 35. he has no where to go except down. I just assume go with an internal candidate and perhaps trade for a SS for 2010.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the A's are still in the running for left-handed reliever Dennys Reyes.
    The Chronicle believes a deal "could come together quickly" with more talks expected this week. He posted a 2.33 ERA in 46 1/3 innings with the Twins last season, but has drawn very little interest this offseason.
    The A's already have the best bullpen going right now so this looks like an unnecessary signing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the A's have serious interest in Nomar Garciaparra as a backup third/first baseman.
    The report also says signing Garciaparra wouldn't preclude a deal with SS Orlando Cabrera, though there is still a significant gap between the sides in those talks.
    Doesn't Nomar live near the Bay area?

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The A's already have the best bullpen going right now so this looks like an unnecessary signing.
    I agree. Our bullpen is prolly our best asset right now. I don't think we need to add many more arms, if at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Doesn't Nomar live near the Bay area?
    And no, he lives somewhere down in the LA area. Malibu or something like that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal that Nomar Garciaparra is currently deciding between joining the A's and retirement.
    The Phillies are apparently out of the mix. Garciaparra would likely have a significant role in Oakland, especially with Eric Chavez doubtful to last as a full-time third baseman. Jack Hannahan would probably lose his roster spot if Nomar signs.
    What are A's fans hoping for? Retirement or a signing?

MLB ERA

meh, I don't care to be honest. I guess he'll retire though.

Just no to O-cab!

MLB ERA

ugh, A's signed O-Cab for $4 mil x 1 year and lost their 2nd round pick. I don't think 1 year of O-Cab is worth it, but whatever. I wonder if they'll try to trade Crosby again. There was no interest before so I don't see that happening. $9.5 mil and a 2nd round pick for O-Cab to start and Crosby ride the pine / play in AAA. It seems they're still trying to get Nomar, too. These guys don't interest me and I'm not all that impressed with the moves. Oh well, I'm not an owner or anything. I'm sure they have an idea of what they're trying to do.

MLB ERA

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Source: Garciaparra near deal to join Athletics

Opting against retirement, Garciaparra is on the verge of signing a one-year deal with the A's, according to major-league sources.

The deal, expected to be between $1.5 and $2 million guaranteed, will be subject to Garciaparra passing a physical.
    His agent, Paul Cohen, touched base with the A's on Monday, and Crosby hopes the A's can move him. "I was hoping to be Oakland's shortstop, and that's obviously not in their plans," he said. "I've enjoyed it here, but the best thing for me is to go somewhere I can be an everyday shortstop. They've made up their minds, and I just hope they can give me the opportunity to move on."
    looks like Crosby is stuck and won't be playing much at all with the additions of Cabrera and Nomar...unless there are a lot of injuries of course.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Great job by Beane improving this team!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Cubs' chances of trading Luis Vizcaino are slim because of the overpriced contract, though if they packaged him with a prospect, they could explore a deal with Oakland for shortstop Bobby Crosby, who makes $5.25 million and is being shopped after Orlando Cabrera signed
    That's one way of getting rid of Crosby but I don't see the Cubs wanting him since they have Miles. I also don't see the A's having room for Vizcaino.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast