Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

apparently, Furcal was angry that the A's didn't offer more. Wait, didn't we offer most money overall?

ESPN - Buster Olney Blog

Sources say that Furcal was not happy with the way that the negotiations with the Athletics played out, that there was some anger that Oakland's offer wasn't as high as he expected. But that week, the Athletics -- like a lot of teams -- had reassessed the market, in the aftermath of the arbitration offers ,and made an offer that they considered to be in line with the sport's new economics (and, as events have unfolded, that reading of Furcal as a $9.5 million a year player seems to jibe almost precisely with the assessments of the Braves and the Dodgers).
    I'm glad he didn't sign with us at this point. I don't want a guy that doesn't really want to play for my favorite team. Go back to the Braves or Dodgers and be done with it already.

And it looks like we won't be going after to Cabrera unless he's available really late in the game. I guess we're stuck with Crosby for 2009. Maybe he'll be motivated to perform this year. It is a contract year for him after all.

With Furcal out of the picture, A's might turn back to Crosby

An A's source said that Oakland does not have interest in free agent Orlando Cabrera unless Cabrera can be had for a bargain late in the process. The A's might consider dealing for a shortstop, but they won't easily part with top pitching prospects Brett Anderson and Trevor Cahill, so there's a very real possibility the team will elect to stand pat with Bobby Crosby.
    I definitely don't want to give up our top SPs specs for a trade or a pick for Cabrera.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I'll guess it will be the "mystery" team or the Dodgers.
    haha, now his agent says he's signing with the Dodgers.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    haha, now his agent says he's signing with the Dodgers.
    Good riddence. At least it's not the A's. Like you said, I don't want a guy on signing with the team who doesn't want to be there in the first place.

MLB ERA

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Teixeira will get his payday, but is he really worth it?

The A's have placed shortstop Bobby Crosby on outright waivers, major-league sources say, enabling a rival club to claim him and assume his entire $5.25 million salary.

The Royals and Blue Jays still are trying to upgrade at short, but neither is likely to claim Crosby, whose .645 on-base/slugging percentage last season was the third lowest in the majors.

It's telling that the A's are willing to lose Crosby for nothing without an obvious internal or external replacement. But if Crosby clears waivers, which expire at 1 p.m. ET Friday, he is virtually certain to stay with the A's.

There is zero incentive for the A's to send him to the minors; Crosby, as a player with five-plus years of major-league service, could reject the assignment, become a free agent and still collect his entire salary.
    This could get ugly I suppose. I doubt anyone claims him. I don't think this is going to be a confidence booster either. All we can hope is it makes him angry and he plays motivated. Otherwise, this may not end well.

MLB ERA

MLB ERA

A's turn eyes toward Giambi / Crosby offered up for nothing

The A's are poised to begin talks with free-agent designated hitter Jason Giambi, who was named the American League MVP while playing in Oakland in 2001. General manager Billy Beane chatted with Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, this week, and the sides could begin discussing a contract early next week. According to sources close to Giambi, he is looking for a three-year deal, but Oakland is not likely to offer more than two years and perhaps an option. Giambi will turn 38 in January.
    why? where is he going to play? I guess you could move Cust to LF and let Giambi DH, but Cust is terrible in the field. Giambi could play 1B, but I guess that would mean Barton will be in AAA all year...or traded. I don't mind Barton going to AAA since I think he should have spent all of last season there because he hadn't spent a full season at AAA yet, but I don't want jumbo Giambi.

I wouldn't mind them going after Abreu maybe. At least we could make a spot for him in the OF more easily. Giambi left so let him stay gone please.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Holliday is going to need some protection in this lineup. Barton didn't do well and the A's can find enough ABs between DH and 1B. Holliday and Giambi would basically be on one year deals.

MLB ERA

Giambi wants a 3-year deal though. I wouldn't even give him a 2-year one. Yes, Barton didn't do too well. He should have been allowed to play a full season at AAA. He was only 22 at the start of the season and could have benefited from more time at AAA. I guess I remembered wrong though, as he did play 136 games and have 516 ABs in AAA for 2007. I still think he should have spent most of 2008 there and then called up full-time in 2009. Regardless, I will not be happy if we bring Jumbo back.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah a 3 year deal is definitely out of the question and 2 years is pushing it. I wouln;t go further than a one year deal.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ack no I don't want Giambi back. Like Prov said, he left, and I don't really want him back (and I can vouch for many other fans here that they don't want him back either). Apparently the Rays are also interested in Giambi, although it appears that they haven't made any legit offers either.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The A's have had preliminary discussions with the representatives for free agent Bobby Abreu, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
    Jason Giambi is still thought to be the team's No. 1 target, but he's insisting on a three-year deal and GM Billy Beane doesn't want to go that far. Abreu, 34, hit .296/.371/.471 with 20 homers and 100 RBI for the Yankees in 2008. He has a career on-base percentage of .405. The Rays and White Sox are also in hot pursuit.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the A's have inquired about free agent Garrett Anderson.
    Anderson has spent his entire 14-year career with the Angels, but they have no intention of bringing him back. The 36-year-old hit .293 with 15 dingers and 84 RBI last season and should come at a cheaper price than Bobby Abreu or Jason Giambi.
    Either player would be a good fit for the A's. Abreu would be the better of the two but Anderson would come cheaper.

MLB ERA

I still don't like reading that Giambi is a "priority." Of all the guys I've seen rumored, I'd rather Abreu due to his age and the fact that he'd probably be the most productive of the group.

MLB ERA

the Giambi rumors persist. Now that one of them (Burrell) has signed the rest of that group should be signing soon. please, no Giambi

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah everything I read has Giambi going back to Oakland. Sorry Prov

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the A's are looking at free agent shortstop Orlando Cabrera.
    The A's showed mild interest in Cabrera back in early December, but his price was probably still fairly high. Assuming that it has now dropped, Oakland might be willing to forfeit a draft pick in order to sign him on the cheap. The organization appears to have little faith in Bobby Crosby.
    Now that the market has gone to shit and there appears to be very little interest, the A's can probably land him on a one year deal. That would be a great move for the A's. Anything to get Crosby out of the starting lineup. Cabrera can still hit and steal bases.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast