Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: 2008/2009 Off-Season Thread

HAHA You're OK babe. The report just came out. No one knew as far as media goes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The A's are targeting free agent Randy Johnson to be their fifth starter, sources told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    Oakland is used to dealing with injury-prone pitchers and does need the depth after trading both Rich Harden and Joe Blanton. Johnson, though, may prefer to stay in the NL.
    This wouldn't be such a bad move for the A's. Johnson's chase for 300 will get some marketing value plus it will likely be a one year deal allowing someone to mature at AAA if need be. Holliday and Johnson are big names which does well at the box office. It would be weird to see that tall, skiny frame in Oakland colors though.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If we do sign Johnson, it'd be like a homecoming from him. He graduated from the same HS that one of my friends graduated from. Randy would have come full circle. Crazy stuff man.

But in all seriousness, I guess it'd be an ok move. It would (hopefully) bring in some more fans, but the only question would be how much Johnson would want in a contract, even if it were only for one year. Plus with his wanting to stay in the NL, it doesn't seem likely. Then again, that's what I thought about Holliday and look what happened.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Johnson offered to stay with the Dbacks for just $5 million which is right up the A's alley.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The A's are out of the mix for free agent Rafael Furcal after he rejected the team's four-year proposal.
    Furcal hasn't ruled out joining the A's, but he wasn't willing to take a paycut to do it. While the A's were willing to give him the four-year deal he desired, the proposal didn't top $10 million per season. With the Giants also perhaps out of the mix, Furcal is left without an obvious suitor at the moment. He'll get his money, but he might have to settle for three years. As for the A's, they'll begin looking elsewhere for upgrades. They need at least one starter -- Randy Johnson is a possibility -- and they could always add another big bat, perhaps even Adam Dunn.
    Furcal picked a bad time to start being greedy. SF has already gotten their shortstop and the Cards traded for Greene. Jack Wilson is a cheaper trade option and willing to restructure his contract to go to the Dodgers. Furcal's asking price will have to come down.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Johnson offered to stay with the Dbacks for just $5 million which is right up the A's alley.
    True, that now makes it a much more likely occurrence. I'm still a little doubtful though.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Furcal picked a bad time to start being greedy. SF has already gotten their shortstop and the Cards traded for Greene. Jack Wilson is a cheaper trade option and willing to restructure his contract to go to the Dodgers. Furcal's asking price will have to come down.
    no doubt. I could have lived with what the A's supposedly offered (4 years / $35 - 40 mil) for a guy who didn't play a lot last year. He wanted 4 years and we gave him that. I'm not sure if anyone else will. I think the A's made a fair offer and I'm glad they're moving on (supposedly). I read that Furcal wants 4 years / $52 mil. Good luck with that.

I just hope moving on doesn't include going after Giambi and/or Nick Johnson. If we can Dunn cheaply and let Barton develop at AAA like he should last year, then I could live with that. I'm not saying I want that, but I know I don't want Giambi at all. I read that his agent wants a 3 year deal, too. No way will he get that from the A's.

MLB ERA

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Sources: A's up offer, look like leaders for Furcal

The A's have improved their initial four-year offer to Furcal, according to major-league sources.

Furcal, 31, does not appear to have another four-year proposal, though negotiations are fluid and subject to change.

Furcal's agent, Paul Kinzer, said last week that the A's, Dodgers, Blue Jays and Royals were the four finalists for his client. Other teams, however, could be in the mix.

The Dodgers will not offer Furcal four years and maybe not even three, sources say. The Jays are unable to compete economically. The Royals might need to trade outfielder Jose Guillen to clear payroll.
    just sign with someone already. he got his 4-year offer and if he doesn't take it, then let's move on for good already. He must be waiting for the Dodgers to make a longer offer or for the Braves to get involved.

MLB ERA

supposedly, the A's offered $40 mil for 4 years (up $4 mil).

Hardball

A few sources involved in the negotiations told me that it is their perception that of the three finalists, Furcal prefers going to Oakland least and will have a tough decision because the A's look as if they are willing to offer the most.
    I'm not sure what to think of that. Obviously, if he wanted to play for the A's he would have signed already. So if he doesn't want to play for them, why do they keep making offers? Do they really want a guy that doesn't want to play for them? I know he's the best SS option out there, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

MLB ERA

Furcal decision at hand - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Free agent shortstop Rafael Furcal will accept an offer from one of four teams by Tuesday, his agent, Paul Kinzer, said Monday afternoon.

Furcal is considering offers from the Oakland A’s, Los Angeles Dodgers, Kansas City Royals and one other team, Kinzer said, adding that the Toronto Blue Jays no longer are in the bidding.
    oow, another "mystery" team. At least we'll know tomorrow. I'm going to guess that he doesn't choose the A's.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Royals for the block.

MLB ERA

it doesn't seem like they have the money though. I'll guess it will be the "mystery" team or the Dodgers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dayton Moore got more money from ownership this offseason so it could happen. The ill-advised Farnsworth signing might have hurt that though.

MLB ERA

we'll see. the team doesn't matter to me really. I just don't get the feeling that he'll choose the A's. I really think he would have already done that if he wanted to. Beane must feel he has a shot though if he upped the offer instead of moving on.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I'll guess it will be the "mystery" team or the Dodgers.
    mystery team = Braves = win

http://www.strike3forums.com/forums/...reply&p=424905

One rival executive said Monday night, "He will do whatever he can not to go to Oakland," citing Furcal's preference to be with one of his prior teams.
    whatever he can do? he doesn't have to do anything. I guess it's a punishment to sign with the A's.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast