Thread: 09 Pitching Rotation

Pitching 09 Pitching Rotation

After watching the All LH rotation the past few weeks we have seen everybody who would be in the rotation next year. In my mind certain guys have looked good enough to be in the rotation next year

Duchscherer: He obviously has been great. Much better than I expected. If he comes back he will certainly be the #1 starter. I'm not sure of his contract situation if he is a FA or not. But cetainly trade bait.

Gallagher: When he first got to the A's he pitched well. Then he started having arm troubles. I think he has potential to be a good #2 starter for the A's if he's healthy of course.

Eveland: He started the season pitching well. Then he fell way off. Went down to AAA Sac and did well for them. Inuries brought him back to Oakland and he seemed to have figured out what he was doing wrong cause he's pitching very well since he cam back up. I see him as the #3 starter for the A's next year.

Braden: He has never showed much with the A's untill recently. I think he's pitched well in all but one start since he was put back into the rotation. He looks like a good #4 starter if he's around cause I hear allot about him being trade bait.

Smith: He has had a year very similar to Eveland. Looked good the first few months then fell off. Smith hasn't turned it around like Eveland has though. I think he just needs time. He also has had very poor run support. That might be putting too much pressure on a young pitcher. He knows if he gives up more than 1 run the A's will lose. The A's have scored only 1 run in something like 16 of his starts. That makes it even tougher on a young pitcher. I say give him a chance to be the #5 starter next year. Plus he's great in picking runners off.

So thats my 5 starters for next year. There are still two guys left to discuss.

Meyer: Once a big time pitching prospect battled injuries as soon as we got him in the Hudson deal. Now his velocity is down. He doesn't look like a big league starter in my mind. He has pitched poorly since being call up. He might be a good situational lefty in the pen. I say put him in the pen and see how he does.

Gio Gonzalez: He has shown flashes of having the potential to be a good starter in the majors. But he isn't ready yet. He needs more time in AAA. Only thing I fear is hurting his confidence sending him back down to AAA. But he is next in line incase of trades or injuries to the starting 5. I still see him as a major piece to the A's future.

The A's still got 3 big time pitchers in AA.

Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson were started the year out in A Stockton and pitched very well. Then they got promoted to AA Midland and continued to pitch well. They were both part of the US Olympic team. They both pitched well against very good compeition. I think being on the olympic team will help them in the future. I see both being on AAA most of next year. Possibly might be ready for a call up in Sept 09. Count on them being with the A's for 2010.

The 3rd big time pitche in AA is Vincent Mazzaro he was drafted out of high school in 05. He hasn't shown much untill this year. He has been lights out with AA Midland this year. 12-3 with a 1.90 ERA. He has never been considered a big time prospect untill recently. He has opened up allot of eyes around major league teams. There was a trade on the table to get Jason Bay and Mazzaro was included in the deal. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the A's move him for a bat. If he's still with the Organization he will probably be with AAA next year.

Well thats how I feel about the rotation for 09. What do you guys think?

Later in the year I will post my thoughts on the Bullpen and Line up for 09.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: 09 Pitching Rotation

that rotation leaves a lot to be desired. I really think this bunch of guys are playing the role of placeholders for when/if our top SP specs develop. Gallagher, Braden, and Smith...even Eveland don't impress me. Gio hasn't been good and Meyer will probably be released at some point in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    that rotation leaves a lot to be desired. I really think this bunch of guys are playing the role of placeholders for when/if our top SP specs develop. Gallagher, Braden, and Smith...even Eveland don't impress me. Gio hasn't been good and Meyer will probably be released at some point in the near future.
    Yea I'm just saying thats the rotation for 09 not beyond that. Our top pitching prospects won't be ready for 09. I don't think Gio is ready. He has good stuff to be a quality starter just isn't quite ready yet.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

jfduece might have to adjust his rotation with Smith being traded.