Thread: Eric Patterson

Player Eric Patterson

After seeing Patterson get some PT on a consistent basis I think he looks good. He has played good defensively as well. I like what his speed brings to the table. He may not be as good defensively as Ellis but he has that speed that Ellis doesn't plus he'll be much cheaper than Ellis. He may not have as much pop in his bat but he can get allot more infield singles than Ellis. When Ellis comes back in a week or so I'd like to platoon them so We have a better picture on what Patterson can do. Face it We know what Ellis can do. Great defensively but offensively he only produces every other year. Patterson might be that prototypical leadoff guy the A's have been lacking since the Rickey Henderson days. We haven't had a leadoff guy with speed since Jonny Damon and he struggled for 3/4 of the year. A guy that can bunt for a base hit which we have already seen him do or beat out a ground ball. I'm posting this to see what everybody else thinks of Patterson.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Eric Patterson

You did have a leadoff hitter with speed after Damon and his name is Ray Durham. He stole just 6 bases during his brief time in Oakland because taking chances on the base paths didn't mesh with Beane's station-to-station ball philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    You did have a leadoff hitter with speed after Damon and his name is Ray Durham. He stole just 6 bases during his brief time in Oakland because taking chances on the base paths didn't mesh with Beane's station-to-station ball philosophy.
    Yea we had Ray Durham for 54 games. I was talking about a full time player not a rent-a-player.

MLB ERA

Eric Byrnes doesn't count as a guy with speed? I mean, I'm assuming he never was a leadoff hitter for Oakland, but he certainly had some speed....

AAA ERA

I'm a Cubs fan, and I can promise you Eric Patterson is garbage. The happiest day of my life was when I found out Beane went crazy. Giving us Gaudin and Harden for Gallagher and junk players.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't expect this guy to be a starter or have any real impact for the A's.

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Eric Byrnes doesn't count as a guy with speed? I mean, I'm assuming he never was a leadoff hitter for Oakland, but he certainly had some speed....

I was never a Brynes fan. Way to inconsistent at the plate. I know I was one of the few A's fans who didn't like Brynes.

Quote Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    I'm a Cubs fan, and I can promise you Eric Patterson is garbage. The happiest day of my life was when I found out Beane went crazy. Giving us Gaudin and Harden for Gallagher and junk players.
    Well the trade worked for both of us then. I was happy to trade Harden. Only thing I didn't like was putting Gaudin in the trade. If Harden stays healthy then it's a great trade for the Cubs. But thats a big If. Has Gallagher ever had arm troubles before?

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I don't expect this guy to be starter or have any real impact for the A's.
    Whats the reasoning? Ellis plays better defense and has some pop in his bat every other year. Patterson can learn to be a good defensive player. He's much faster so he will have better range than Ellis. Give Patterson the PT and he will play just as well as Ellis if not better. Plus Ellis is going to want a decent Raise. Let him walk and put Patterson in there. If he doesn't work out there are numerous other 2b in the A's organization.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

the reasoning is that he's not good. I'm sure he will get a chance though since Beane traded for him. He'll force them to give him a shot so it doesn't matter what I think.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfdeuce View Post
    I was never a Brynes fan. Way to inconsistent at the plate. I know I was one of the few A's fans who didn't like Brynes.
    Yeah you were...all of my friends out in the LF bleachers love(d) him.

Anyways, I agree with Prov on this one. I just don't see him playing a big role in the future. Beane will wait and see how he does during this final month of play before making a final decision, but he's still hoping to get Ellie back at full strength, which would/should mean less playing time for Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Yeah you were...all of my friends out in the LF bleachers love(d) him.

Anyways, I agree with Prov on this one. I just don't see him playing a big role in the future. Beane will wait and see how he does during this final month of play before making a final decision, but he's still hoping to get Ellie back at full strength, which would/should mean less playing time for Patterson.
    Like I said I'm one of the few that didn't like Byrnes. I was elated when they traded Byrnes. I liked Jay Payton over Byrnes.

I'm hoping Ellis platoons with Patterson. Why not give him a shot? We know what Ellis can do. Patterson has that speed that enables him to do more than Ellis. Let Ellis go in the Offseason. Give Patterson a shot. He doesn't work out they still got Petit, Cardenas, or Weeks in a few years. Since the A's don't have any power bats they will need to play more small ball which they have this year. Patterson is perfect for small ball. Patterson might only be a stop gap untill Weeks is ready. But It sure has hell aint worth paying Ellis to stick around.

Pissedoff
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    I did not know you were here to